Former resident of TN. Is my lifetime permit recognized

pgb205

as title mentions I have lifetime TN carry permit. I am no longer resident. My question is does TN still recognize my permit as an active one? For example if someone from NV were to call TN govt and ask if I have a permit from TN what would TN official say? Or does it 'stop being functional' as soon as I become resident of another state?

On the other side do other states recognize such permits as valid. For example would NV recognize this TN permit as valid if I travel there and someone asks me to present a ccw id?

Or is it typical gray area case and it's just easier to get an out of state ccw that's recognized by NV.

Best answer is for you to call the Tennessee agency that issues the permits to have a higher probability of getting the correct answer.

That's a good question. I think you'll have to contact the issuing authority in TN.

As far as I can see, the law says it's good for life and there's no mention of that changing if you move to another state, but I still think you should ask.

I would suspect that if it is a resident permit, and you are no longer a resident, that it would become null and void.

I think the only way to be certain is to call the agency. I looked on the Tennessee web site link from Handgunlaw.us and found this:

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/apply.html

If you do not currently have a Tennessee driver license, you must submit two proofs of Tennessee residency with your name and resident address - NO P.O. BOXES (Documents must be current and within last 4 months.)

If you have to provide proof of Tennessee residency to obtain an enhanced carry permit, that suggests pretty strongly that it's only valid as long as you remain a Tennessee resident.

I found no reference anywhere on the site to a non-resident permit. Since Tennessee recognizes all other states' permits/licenses, they don't really have any need or reason to issue non-resident permits.

I would think the state you are moving to, not from, would be the best source of information.

I have LEO friends out west who have to go thru "qualification" every now and then to maintain a permit. I can't imagine that would be dismissed just because you came into the state with a permit from out here.

eflyguy said:
I have LEO friends out west who have to go thru "qualification" every now and then to maintain a permit. I can't imagine that would be dismissed just because you came into the state with a permit from out here.
Are your LEO friends maintaining "civilian" carry permits, or are they maintaining their eligibility for carry privileges under the LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act)? That's a federal law, and it has its own requirements -- one of which is annual requalification. If they are active LEO, then I'm sure their departments require annual requalification -- if not every six months.

That I don't know. All retired. They mention having to get "qualified" every few years, which I have found interesting as there's no such thing here in GA. You just fill out a form, now even online, and your new permit shows up in the mail.

I would have expected former LEO to be able to renew just as easily in other states.

(and my point was, if you move from a state that doesn't have those kinds of requirements, to one that does, I wouldn't expect them to be dismissed..)

eflyguy said:
That I don't know. All retired. They mention having to get "qualified" every few years, which I have found interesting as there's no such thing here in GA. You just fill out a form, now even online, and your new permit shows up in the mail.

I would have expected former LEO to be able to renew just as easily in other states.
If they are all former (retired) LEOs, I'm sure they are talking about the LEOSA, which is (as I mentioned) federal law -- not a "permit -- and which (as I mentioned) requires annual requalification.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926C

18 U.S. Code § 926C - Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers

U.S. Code
Notes
State Regulations

prev | next
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified retired law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).
(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that—
(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.
(c) As used in this section, the term “qualified retired law enforcement officer” means an individual who—
(1) separated from service in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer;
(2) before such separation, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807(b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);
(3)
(A) before such separation, served as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more; or
(B) separated from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;
(4) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers, as determined by the former agency of the individual, the State in which the individual resides or, if the State has not established such standards, either a law enforcement agency within the State in which the individual resides or the standards used by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State;
(5)
(A) has not been officially found by a qualified medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for reasons relating to mental health and as a result of this finding will not be issued the photographic identification as described in subsection (d)(1); or
(B) has not entered into an agreement with the agency from which the individual is separating from service in which that individual acknowledges he or she is not qualified under this section for reasons relating to mental health and for those reasons will not receive or accept the photographic identification as described in subsection (d)(1);
(6) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
(7) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
(d) The identification required by this subsection is—
(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
(2)
(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and
(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met—
(I) the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
(II) if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

(e) As used in this section—
(1) the term “firearm”—
(A) except as provided in this paragraph, has the same meaning as in section 921 of this title;
(B) includes ammunition not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act; and
(C) does not include—
(i) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the National Firearms Act);
(ii) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this title); and
(iii) any destructive device (as defined in section 921 of this title); and
(2) the term “service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer” includes service as a law enforcement officer of the Amtrak Police Department, service as a law enforcement officer of the Federal Reserve, or service as a law enforcement or police officer of the executive branch of the Federal Government.

LE don't have carry permits in the same way non-LE do. At least in GA. If they are current LE they are allowed to carry anywhere out of uniform that they could in uniform. In all 50 states. They can carry in a lot more places than I can. Whether they can keep that same right after they retire, I simply don't know. But my guess is that they can as long as they keep up some type of certification.

An interesting foot note. In GA I can show my carry permit when purchasing a firearm and skip the background check. Most of my LE friends don't bother getting the same carry permit I have. They have to go through the background check just like anyone else buying a gun with no carry permit.

The ones I was referencing who have stated they need to "qualify" live in CA, OR and NV.

.. and, again, the only reason I brought it up is because it's interesting that here in GA, myself, my daughter, and my ex., have never needed any kind of 'certification' to get or renew a weapons license (what it's called here, but permits concealed carry).

My ex's guy and my BIL are former LEO but we've honestly never discussed it. They both carry as well, however.

eflyguy said:
The ones I was referencing who have stated they need to "qualify" live in CA, OR and NV.

.. and, again, the only reason I brought it up is because it's interesting that here in GA, myself, my daughter, and my ex., have never needed any kind of 'certification' to get or renew a weapons license (what it's called here, but permits concealed carry).
You are needlessly confusing the issue, and you apparently are not paying attention. Let's try again:

Retired LEOs generally do not get carry permits from any state because they are covered by the federal LEOSA law (Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act). This is a federal law that trumps state laws, and part of the LEOSA law (which I posted above, in its entirety, just for you) is that in order to carry nationally under the provisions of the LEOSA, the retired LEOs have to requalify annually.

This has nothing to do with the question that started this discussion.

you've asked two questions with essentially the same answer, you need to directly ask the agencies involved. Not a friend, or a friends' mother's sister's brother's cousin, not the internet, and not a cop on the street, :rolleyes:

Not that anyone will deliberately lie to you, but when it comes to these kinds of technical issues with the law, you NEED to go to the source, or pay a lawyer to do so, otherwise you could easily be given bad information in good faith.

Is your TN permit still valid, now that you no longer reside in TN? Probably not, but you need to ask the proper people in TN for the answer. Generally speaking state issued resident licenses, become invalid when you are no longer a resident. HOWEVER, its up to each individual state, and how they treat the issue. Also, the state has to know you are no longer a resident. ;)

I got a NY permit in 75. At that time, the permit was good for life, unless revoked. In 79 I moved to the west. in 2002 NY sent me a letter stating that since I was no longer a NY resident my NY permit was no longer valid, and, they wanted it back!!! Yes, that's right, they wanted me to return the wallet size paper (non laminated paper, not even cardstock) that they had issued me 27 years ealier! I mention this only for information, but since it took NY a couple decades plus to realize I was no longer a resident, some other state might also not be aware you no longer live there....yet. :rolleyes:

SO, if someone from NV calls TN and asks if your permit is valid, and someone in TN checks files that have not been updated, they could easily, in good faith, give an inaccurate reply. AND, if a bit later, TN calls NV and tells them your permit is not valid, NV might be a bit upset with you for presenting an invalid permit. (assuming they care...:rolleyes:)

Second question, will NV recognize my TN permit? You have to ask them. State's recognition of other states gun permits varies from state to state and also CHANGES from time to time. If NV doesn't recognize your TN permit, then it doesn't matter if its still valid, or not, to NV. But, if they DO, then using an invalid permit MIGHT be a violation of law.

CHECK WITH THEM!

Good Luck!

Back