Former Nebraska Cornhusker Coach Osborne will run for Congress

Elker_43

Just out, former Nebraska Coach Osborne will try to win a seat in Congress. Does anyone know where he stands on the 2nd Amendment?
http://www.examiner.com/ap_p/AP_Osborne_Congress.html

Tom Osborne To Run for Congress

By Kevin O'Hanlon
ASSOCIATED PRESS

HASTINGS, Neb. - Tom Osborne, who led Nebraska's football team to three national titles before retiring in 1997, is running for Congress.

Osborne ended weeks of speculation with the announcement today in his hometown at Hastings College, his alma mater, where he excelled as a three-sport star.

Osborne, a Republican, said he had been contemplating whether to run since Rep. Bill Barrett announced in October that he was retiring at the end of his fifth term.

Speculation that Osborne might run for office started two weeks ago, after Democratic Sen. Bob Kerrey first hinted that he would not seek re-election. Osborne said today that he never gave serious thought to the Senate.

"The options I had were the 3rd District race or nothing at all," Osborne said.

The 62-year-old Osborne guided the Cornhuskers to national championships before retiring after the 1997 season because of a heart condition and to spend more time with his family and humanitarian work. Osborne said his health is not a problem.

"We did every test known to man on me and found out I had a few miles left in me," he said.

The soft-spoken Osborne holds a doctorate in educational psychology and has long been politically active as an advocate for families, youth and environmental causes. Since his retirement, he has been active in the TeamMates youth-mentoring program he started with his wife, Nancy.

Osborne has never ruled out an entrance into politics since his retirement. He has admitted that he has been restless since leaving coaching.

Several potential Senate candidates had said they were holding off on decisions until Osborne announced his intentions.

Osborne faces several relatively unknown GOP candidates in the May 9 primary.

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

[This message has been edited by Elker_43 (edited January 27, 2000).]

Well, he would certainly start with a serious leg up in the name-recognition category!

I'd like to hear more on his RKBA ideals, too.

Hi all,
I don't know how strong Dr. Tom would support the 2nd. He does hunt and fish, but that don't mean squat when it comes to believing that the 2nd means what it says. There are many hunters who are glad to help take away anybody else's assault weapons, high cap. mags, etc., in the mistaken belief that their hunting guns will always be safe. I hadn't heard the news this morning so I didn't know it was official til I read it here. Dr. Tom will win, no question about it. A couple of years ago, (when we won back to back natl. championships) there was a joke going around, I can't remember exactly how it went, but it had to do with a group of people dying in a plane crash, then having to justify to God why they should be allowed in Heaven. When it was Tom's turn, he listed all of the good things he has done in his life, his championships, etc, and finished by saying that "The people of Nebraska think you are sitting in my chair."
Bergie

Back