Forgot you were armed? Seriously?

Prof Young

News report today about an up swing in the number of guns being found in airport carry on luggage. Said most often given reason was "I forgot it was there." I suppose it's possible . . . but not very responsible. I mean if you can't remember that you are armed should you even be armed?

Thoughts and comments . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back before the TSA and Homeland Security I walked into an international airport to pick up my sister-in-law on very short notice. As I approached the guard I realized I was carrying...
I took out my permit and showed it to him and he suggested that I put the gun in a lock box and come back.
I did and all was well. Today I don't think it would go down quite as easily.
When you carry all the time it's like your underwear - you just don't think about it unless something happens to point it out.

I'll be honest, There has been a few times where I almost went into a no weapon zone while carrying.. it's a good thing they put reminder signs on the doors.

I carry a fullsize gun a Taurus 99 OWB and honestly it's so comfortable (most of the time) that I forget it's there sometimes.

I carry when ever im dressed, home or away.
After a while it becomes like a wrist watch or car keys.
It's there if you need it but I don't walk around saying to my self.. Im carrying a gun, Im carrying a gun.

Given the way things are at air ports these days however.. I think I'd be double sure to make sure I knew what was in my luggage which is where I think majority are found.

While I can kind of see how carrying might become an everyday thing, going to an airport is such a big deal (for me anyway) I wouldn't see how I would forget I was carrying or forget about a gun in the carry on...but it sure happens...

The Transportation Security Administration said it discovered 3,391 guns in carry-ons at checkpoints in 2016, a 28% increase from the year before. That works out to about nine every day.

The TSA said 83% of the guns were loaded.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/news/tsa-guns-airport-checkpoints/index.html

When you've got a good carrying system and carry all the time it's not hard to do, it no difference than carrying your wallet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I used to wonder how anyone could forget they were carrying. Anymore, not so much. On more than one occasion, I've gotten out of my car and been halfway to work (inside a GFZ gov't building) and had to turn around to go lock my gun in my car safe.

When guns are found in the carry-on luggage, I assume the guns are confiscated but are the violators prosecuted? If so, does the prosecution have to prove intent?

TomNJVA

I don't forget. When I traveled for work I would frisk myself a few times before I left the house. I never carried a gun in a suitcase or my briefcase. I did have a gun in my checked bag once. It was locked up and I declared it to the airlines, so no biggie. But I agree it is crazy to try and go through security and not know what is in your bag.

I try to segregate bags I use to carry firearms and equipment from my "travel" bags for this reason; but every once in awhile a loose round or two pops up in the pocket of a suitcase. Luckily, prior to the TSA interaction so far...

Last edited:
I've gotten out of my car and been halfway to work (inside a GFZ gov't building) and had to turn around to go lock my gun in my car safe.
A few years ago, I had to testify in a court case. I went to work first to check in, then drove to the courthouse. I walked through the front door, saw the metal detector, and...oh. I turned around, went back to the car, and secured the gun.

When I re-entered the building, the guard smiled and said, "we get that all the time."

So, yeah. If you carry all the time (as I did then), it's possible.

Memory errors are quite common. Not a big deal. Unless you fry your kid or dog in the car.

I find myself going down the stairs and up the stairs for keys, guns and the like. Ever leave the house in your slippers?

I find myself going down the stairs and up the stairs for keys, guns and the like. Ever leave the house in your slippers?

No, but my wife did when our oldest got hit by a car riding his bike.

A gun in a "bag" is a little different than one on your hip. I have had friends detained who forgot about a handgun in a backpack, but I don't know of any who got detained with one on their hip.

ShootistPRS said:
Back before the TSA and Homeland Security I walked into an international airport to pick up my sister-in-law on very short notice. As I approached the guard I realized I was carrying...
I took out my permit and showed it to him and he suggested that I put the gun in a lock box and come back.
I did and all was well. Today I don't think it would go down quite as easily.
Except for a few states, carry in the non-sterile parts of airports is legal. That means anywhere on the public side of the security screening for the gates.

If you carry routinely, it's easy to forget that you're carrying. Several years ago, I was in a town I don't normally spend much time it. There's a branch of my bank there, next door to the post office. I stopped at the bank, then decided to pop into the post office to mail a letter. I parked -- in the post office lot, and entered through the rear door from the parking lot. I was halfway to the counter when I remembered that chunk of steel on my belt. I did an about face, went back the car, and departed as quickly as possible. I was done in by the change of routine. The post office I usually go to has no parking lot. I have to park on the street and leave my gun in the car. In this instance, parking behind the building and entering through a rear door exactly mirrored the experience next door at the bank, so the difference in legal consequences didn't sink in immediately.

I guess I have to confess I lost a very nice spear point Gerber folder that I had intended to put in my checked bag, but forgot. Security told me they can't keep the knives. Apparently they get thrown away. Did same thing on a cruise ship and they checked the knife and I got it back at end of cruise. Same thing at Aquarium in Atlanta. Haven't had this happen with a gun . . . yet.

Life is good
Prof Young.

In Louisville, you can buy a nice small Louisville slugger at the factory. They have a big sign at checkout that you can't take them on the plane. At the airport checkpoint, there is a basket of them.

I know someone who just lost a nice Sypderco to the TSA. It happens.

On the other side of the security line in Louisville there's a little kiosk where you can mail your knife back to yourself for $10.

Scotty McCreary (local celebrity) was cited for carrying a gun in a carry on going through tsa security at the airport the other day. My immediate thought is "how do you possibly forget that." Like Dale, flying isn't something I do all the time. So I prepare, and do pre checks to make sure I have what I need. I don't really understand how you could forget your gun is in the carry on bag, because I would've specifically packed for the trip and excluded the pistol (or packed it separate).

For frequent business flyers, I kind of understand. But still don't fully understand as I would make darn sure my pistol isn't seized by TSA.

On the other side of the security line in Louisville there's a little kiosk where you can mail your knife back to yourself for $10.

That is a great idea. I wonder why my airport (MSP) doesn't do it, or for that matter ALL airports.

A few years ago I was getting ready to go through airport security and I remembered that I had my pocket knife in my pocket...I walked over to the baggage claim area where there were some artificial plants with fake grass around them, and I stuck my knife under the fake grass...when my return flight landed a couple of days later, my knife was thankfully still under the fake grass

Back