Foreign Travel and Gun Possession

Ulfilas

Heard from the boys at the range last week that, depending on the gun laws of the country you are traveling to, you can have a gun stowed in your (non-carryon) luggage and 500rds of ammo, provided you have proof you are trained (eg CCW) and have cleared it with both the destination country and the airline you're traveling on.

Can anyone verify or dispute this? What experiences have you all had?

jth

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

Unless you're talking about South Africa, I know of no country that will allow you to take in handguns.

In Italy, sources are pretty easy to come by. Certainly in the mideast, also. But, unless you know you're going in harm's way, I wouldn't chance it.

Think about a cane as an alternative....great contact weapon. Allowed anywhere.
Rich

Anecdotal evidence from Israel: US lady brings her Beretta 92 when moving to that lovely country. Customs take the gun ("temporarily", she still doesn't have it a year later) and a local PD (?) issues her.....a Beretta 92. Real leap of logic, eh?

Don't try bringing one to Australia ... CCW or no CCW, you will lose it.

Although ... anecdotal evidence:

Elderly lady from South Africa visited her family here in Perth for a two-week holiday. No problems -- until she tried to get back on the plane to go home and they found she'd brought her 9mm handgun with her, in her handbag, loaded, on the flight from SA. Apparently, the Federal Police were running in ever-decreasing circles trying to work outt how she got the damn thing in the country.

Wish I'd been there :)

B

Back