Foreign Gun Laws

TEX

Anyone one know of a good reliable internet source for gun laws out side of the US, especially South America. Will be traveling and interested in those concerning possession, concealed carry, hi-cap mags, legal calibers, etc.

Thanks in Advance

TEX: First, check airline policies, if you're flying. It's a hassle, and you better have an aluminum hard-case.

If driving south of the Rio Bravo, first get all paperwork from a Mexican Consulate. You'll go to jail for even a cartridge, much less a gun, if you don't have all the "permisos". Also, Mexico does not, repeat, not, allow any military cartridges. No .45ACP nor 9mm. No .308 nor '06 nor .223. At all.

When thinking Mexico and guns, think "JAIL" unless you have the paperwork.

Costa Rica is cool, unless laws have changed. I saw an ad in the "Tico Times" for a Ruger Blackhawk, .357...And the rice farmers love for hunters to shoot those nasty white-winged doves which eat the crops.

And, yeah, check the NRA site...

FWIW, Art

check with the embassy or consulate for each country before you leave home. many of them require that all paperwork be done at the location where you live, not at the border.( found out the hard way, like to have ruined my trip ) get everything in writing, including the names of the person or persons with whom you speak, who approved it, how long its for and if there are any restrictions as to caliber or places you can go.( some don't allow any military calibers)
cmore

I think cmore has a good point....but get it in writing and send a copy to the american embassy in each country you'll be visiting that way if there is a problem,,,,you have established a connection with the aid's of the consulate and they have the information to work with in case of a problem......I dont think our jails are good, let alone foreign ones.....fubsy.

Art - I am going a little further South than Mexico, but thanks for the info. I had a older cousin that drove around Mexico for about a week with an old break-open 20g behind his truck seat and half a box of ammo. No one ever checked him, and he discover the gun when he got home and went to unpack. Almost a year later, he says he still gets the sweats when he thinks about it.

CMORE & FUBSY - Thanks for the info. It sounds like the smart way to handle it.

Cmore is correct! When planning to travel in any foreign country with guns, definitely check with the embassy of the country involved. Even if a country allows its own citizens to possess firearms, that does not mean you can waltz in with your guns.

General rules:

1. All prisons are unpleasant. Most foreign prisons are very, very much worse than unpleasant.

2. Even when a country welcomes hunters, it will often restrict bringing in of guns to those who have made prior arrangements through a licensed guide or safari service, who will meet you at customs.

3. Handguns, assault rifles and auto weapons are almost always a no-no.

4. Don't show up at customs with a gun without whatever paperwork is required. You will be arrested and charged with attempted smuggling of firearms. You will not be allowed to say "Oops, sorry, I'll ship it back."

5. The U.S. Embassy or Consulate cannot help you if you violate foreign law; the most they can do is to help you get counsel. (Same here; if a foreigner violates our laws, we don't let him off because he is a foreigner.)

6. Armed forces members and dependents living overseas under a U.S. Status of Forces agreement (SOFA), and persons under diplomatic protection (example: VIP bodyguards) are under different rules. Don't let them mislead you with statements like "I always took my XYZ to Germany in my household goods and had no problems."

7. In case you missed it the first time, here it is again: ALL PRISONS ARE UNPLEASANT, AND MOST FOREIGN PRISONS ARE VERY, VERY UNPLEASANT.

Jim

tex, one oter thing i forgot to mention. fill out a customs declaration (they'll be glad to help) BEFORE you leave home ,list every fire arm and how much ammo you are taking. also if you expect to bring ammo back in to the US. makes it much simpler as they will already have you and your guns listed so you wont have to pay duty or produce proof that you bought them in the USA. check with some of the guide services who offer hunt in central or south america, the can offer you more up to date info and maybe save a large hassle.
good hunting cmore

Back