Forearm Tool (spanner) for Mossberg 835

Revengineer

Inactive
I own a Mossberg 835 Ultimag 3.5" 12 GA. I would like to remove the forearm to do a more thorough cleaning, but the forearm retention nut is really screwed on tight. I've been told by Mossberg that the remove/install tool is called a 'Spanner', but the person I spoke with didn't know where I could get one. I could probably jury rig a tool to remove it, but I want to use an appropriate tool so I don't gouge or scratch any more than absolutely necessary.

(Retention Nut details - if needed are below)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tool I could buy or an alternative tool that might be acceptable? I've looked on the web, but with no success as of yet.

With much appreciation,

Revengineer

(the term relates to Computer Aided Reverse Engineering - my trade)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Retention Nut details

The retention nut is about 1" I.D and 1.375" O.D. and has two inline cuts on either side of the magazine where a tool would insert. It resembles a castle nut (although its' O.D. is circular) with only two slots that are across from one another. (Sorry if it is too much detail - I'm an engineer : )

Brownells sells a variety of spanner wrenches. When I get a one-of-a-kind gun in to work on, I generally just haul out the files and make a wrench out of 1/8 inch cold-rolled scrap. It doesn't have to be pretty or even hardened for one or two jobs.

You can get the Menke forend wrench but it's sort of expensive for one or two uses. I'd go with the "make your own" method described by Clemson. That works as well as any other. George

Re: Forearm Tool

Thanks Guys!
I really appreciate all of your help. The Brownell part looks like it it is the proper alright, but it is a little bit higher priced than I expected. Thanks for finding it, Doubleought!

I think I am going to go with your recommendations, Clemson and George. My father in law had the same idea. He has just retired as a lead metalworker at the prototype shop at Ford Motor Company. He told me he has all the tools and materials I need.

Thanks again for all your time and knowledge!

a grateful Revengineer

Back