Forcing cone

CSKS

I'm new to revolvers so bear with me ..can someone explain where the forcing cone is? Is it the part of the barrel right in front of the cylinder?

Yes...

It is exactly what you said. After the bullet leaves the cylinder throat and jumps the cylinder/barrel gap, the forcing cone (hopefully) aligns the bullet for concentricity with the rifling in the barrel.

Thanks for the quick confirmation. If I could ask a follow-on question...is the forcing cone expected to wear out over time or would that be indicative of a cylinder/barrel alignment problem?:) If it is the former, would there be accelerated wear if I shoot more of the 357 in my 686 (vs the 38 spl)?

The forcing cone is subject to a LOT of stress on firing, and will slowly erode over time.

Low intensity loads, like .38 Spl., normally take a long time to do this, but high intensity rounds, such as .357 Mag., .44 Mag., or some of the newer ubermags can REALLY play hell with the forcing cone in short order.

I have seen forcing cones, normally on guns with many thousands of rounds through them, that have been pretty badly washed out.

Technically the forcing cone is IN the rear part of a revolver barrel. It is the inside taper that serves to make up for slight alignment differences among the chambers of the cylinder.

If there is not enough taper and there is some misalignment, there will be "shaving" of the bullets. If the cone is too big or too long, the bullets can expand into it and then have to be forced back into barrel diameter. Either case can raise pressures and result in inaccuracy.

Both the forcing cone and the end of the barrel itself will wear over time, as will also the top strap which is prone to gas cutting with hot loads. In extreme cases, where the barrel end protrudes some distance into the cylinder well, the barrel end can split or part can break off.

Jim

Great info. So if a forcing cone/barrel is badly worn then it's a matter of getting a new barrel? And if the top strap is worn out then is it time to get a new revolver or is that still serviceable?

Sometimes the barrel can be unscrewed, the seating shoulder cut back, and the forcing cone re-cut. I think this is rare, though, with replacement being the most frequent remedy. Cracks are usually too deep for this to method to be viable. AFAIK, the erosion which occurs on the topstrap only goes to a point, then does not progress.

Back