For your safety

CGSteve8718

FBI wants palm prints, eye scans, and tatoo mapping, along with other biometric data or distinguishable features.

This makes me wonder about how the people who see nothing wrong with legislation like REAL ID feel about this. Nothing said it is going to be used only for criminals.

I guess if you aren't one, or don't plan to be, you don't need to worry about it. I mean, it is for our safety.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/04/fbi.biometrics/index.html

Sounds really scary. Is this different from their fingerprint database, and if so, how?

The difference is in what data is stored, and it's also a different database altogether.

FBI biometric data spokesperson in article says they will be announcing the billion dollar contract to start it. Until then, fingerprints will still be the major means of biometric identification. They do plan on keeping everyone's fingerprints though they said. As most fingerprints aren't done to suspects or people already who have commited crimes, but just regular people who are applying for sensitive jobs and need background checks, perhaps gun purchases, etc.

Back