For those of you that print-out your targets...

Firepower_426

Any links or suggestions for targets to print out and use? My local range only uses black targets, which are INCREDIBLY hard to see. Thanks!

just do a search for PRINTABLE TARGETS on BEST OF THE WEB search...there are lots of em there ... i'd put up the link but i'm computer illiterate... sorry................

Most people want to print their own targets to save money. I found that I was going through a lot of targets because once you shoot out the bull you have to get a new target. Like you, I was also tired of shooting black targets. In order to save money and see where I was hitting, I switched to bright orange and green rifle targets by Champion that give me five bullseyes (like an x-shape) to shoot at. You get to shoot at the same piece of paper for a longer period of time without the hassle of switching it out. The price breaks down to about $.06 per target. That's even cheaper than shooting paper plates! Here's a link to the target so you can see what I'm talking about: http://www.championtarget.com/products/targets/ScoreKeeperPaperTargets.aspx. You can't buy them at the Champion website but there are a number of other hunting and shooting supply sites where you can. Or you can just pick them up at a local gun shop or sporting goods store like I do.

I can't figure out why I'm the only person I have ever seen shooting at paper plates at 50 yds with an "X" drawn in the middle with a thick black marker. Also I've started using 4x6 and 3x5 index cards with the "X" in the middle for closer shooting. Couple dollars for a pack of 100. Unless you're actually counting your score on official targets, these work great.

Just be sure you aren't wasting your time:
Some ranges (like the greedy XXXXXes in Palm Beach County) will not allow you to use targets or ammunition that you did not purchase from them. They corner you into buying their overpriced stock.

-azurefly

Been using paper plates for 15 years...

Can't be beat for economy, and for a good point-shoot target

:D

I have a couple of templates made out of cardboard. On one, I cut out a full man-size silhouette. I have a roll of paper about 3 feet wide. You can get this from a number of sources (craft store, kid's store that sells rolls of paper for kids to doodle on, etc.) I cut up the roll of paper into 4 foot long sections. Then, I overlay the template and hit it with black (or other color) spray paint.

Fast, cheap way to make man-sized targets. :D

I have another template that is simply 8 circles about 6 inches in diameter, patterned neatly.

I plan on making some varmint and "big-game" ones, next.

I work in an engineering firm and we have a plotter (overgrown printer) that uses rolls of paper about 4 feet long. I have the engineers save me their "trash" and every week, I go home with enough heavy grade paper to make a half dozen targets that I can use at my indoor or outdoor range.

You can also buy a bundle of newsprint (un-used) from your local moving store.

If you use thin paper (like newsprint), make sure you run a strip of duct tape across the top of the target before hanging on a target hanger.

Steel

I am a back yard fabricator I have several steel target in the making and some done. They are made to be portable and I use doubled up plates on the impact area so that when a piece gets into bad of shape I unbolt it and put a new one on I built a 6 paddle duelling tree out of scrap steel I got for free that works just as well as the $250 ones. with a little inginuity you can make anythng. If you can't weld I bet someone at your range does.

They are much more fun than paper target because they move and make noise they also keep the attention of the younger shooters more so than paper. My son now has one in our basement range for the pellet and airsoft guns made free out of scrape.

Please be sure to use them at a safe distance of course.

Printing at home of color targets is expensive

The trick is to only print one target then take it to staples or office max and let them print it in bulk for you. The staples by my home will print 1000 copies (standard paper) for 37$

Back