For the electrically inclined

M Thor

Inactive
Hi New to the fourm. I have been reloading and casting handgun bullets since I could reach the bench.I use a 50+ year old Seaco 20 lb. 1000 watt lead pot. The only heat control is by unplugging and plugging it back in. Can I control the heat by Plugging it into my 15 amp router speed control? Thanks in advance for the help,

I think it would work. If I had that problem I would do almost exactly the same thing. I would keep an eye on the controller for overheating and give it a shot. If it is rated 15 amps continuous use I do not think you would have a problem. If it is rated for less than that continuous you might want to fuse it at the lower amperage to protect the controller.

Check the watt rating on your speed control, if it's at 1000w or higher...go for it. Otherwise, you can get a temperature controller for electric base board heaters too, but again, check the watt rating. Another avenue would be to get
a burner controller from an old electric stove...oven or burner.

For the electrically inclined

If your halfway electrically inclined and can screw some wire nuts together and pinch on a spade or fork terminal to the ends of some wire you should check out the PID projects over on Castboolits.

These are pretty easily put together if you can follow basic diagrams and if you have ANY issues what so ever, there are plenty of folks who can point you the right direction over there.

What makes these so great, you ask? Well they not only will bring your pot up to the actual temp you want, but they will hold it there within about a 5 or so degree range verses a big swing usually noted with other types of controls. Not only that they sorts learn the process as well and store it away so they bring things up faster the second and third time and keep it steady.

Personally I have one and have the parts for another just haven't gotten around to putting that one together just yet. The plan is for that one to go under the lubesizer and keep the other one in the lead pot.

Hope this helps,

+1 on the PID controller.
I put one together using the Aubrin (?) site for the parts. Don't think I spent more than $50 at the time-about 5 years ago. I can hold temps to +/- 3 degrees

It is the cats pajamas.

Gary

Back