For target shooting, which would you choose?

David Berkowitz

I have posted a question similar before, but now I am getting closer to defining my needs and narrowing down my choices. Thanks for your patience.
I am looking at purchasing a 9mm for the primary purpose of target shooting. I am not a competitor in the sense of organized events, but I still want to shoot the tightest groups I can. The reasons I want a 9mm are, simply because I don't have one, they are fairly easy to shoot, and ammo is much cheaper than 40 or 45.
If I had my complete choice, I would go with the Sig 210, but budget will not allow. The Ruger 95DC was highly recommended to me, but I am unfamiliar with it. Also recommended was the Glock 34 or 17, and Sig 228. The Sig 226 has too large a grip for my hand. Each is within my budget.
My questions are 1) Is the Ruger known for high levels of accuracy and if so, is the 95DC up to that level and 2) Which would _YOU_ choose for the above purpose? Are there any others I should be looking at?
Self defense is only marginally a consideration as I have that covered with others. This is just a fun gun, but I can't have fun if I'm not making center shots.
Thanks for any help.

I don't have enough experience with 9mms to make a recommendation as to the most inheriently accurate. An acquaitance of mine bought one of the early Beretta M92s and that has the distinction of being the most accruate out-of-the-box centerfire pistol I've ever fired - including several Colt Gold Cups. However, every gun is unique.

My thought is that "tight groups" and "cheap ammo" are not usually associated. If you want low cost shooting, a lot of fun and tight groups, I'd recommend a S&W Model 41 or (almost as good) a Ruger Mark II.

You did not mention what type of "target shooting" you intended to participate in. If just Bullseye Matches then you could use a 1911 built for the 9mm in the CF stage of those matches. If for IDPA style matches I would use either a Glock 17 or 34. My 17 and 34 will both group under 2" @ 25 yds. The 9mm 1911 can also be shot in IDPA matches. BTW I am starting to build a 1911 in 9mm next week. I have ordered a Caspian frame and slide. Not sure whose barrel I will use yet. You have to "pick through" the Glocks to get one that is tight. Some have excessive lateral barrel play which hurts accuracy. The Glock trigger does not lend itself to precision shooting though. You will never see one on the line at Camp Perry.

I can't believe they finally let you out of prison. Why don't you stick with something familiar to you, such as, oh let me see, oh yeah, a 44 CALIBER.

If the budget will allow, my first choice would be the H&K P7M8, followed by the Browning High Power. Either is extremely accurate and reliable. Neither is cheap, but you do get what you pay for in my experience. Either of these pistols will be more accurate than the ones you mention. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

None of the guns you mention are considered especially accurate, except the Sig 226.

If you mean you just want to "punch" paper and not compete in some sort of "target" competition, any of the guns you list are adequate, and all are good for self defense.
I have several 9mms, and especially enjoy the Glock 17. I had a P-95, and it was as good as the Glock, but I traded in in a fit of lust for another Sig 9mm -- P239 -- which I found, after the fact, didn't really fit my hand.

As someone else noted, the HK P7M8 is very accurate and highly regarded. I have a Sig P-210 which is considered one of the most accurate 9mms. It is a joy to shoot.

Browning Hi-Power or mabee a S&W model 59? If i was going to buy a pistol in 9mm it would be a Browning Hi - Power for CCW or any type of shooting.

[This message has been edited by 12-34hom (edited January 01, 2000).]

If accuracy is your main criteria, you're going to pay for it, and pay a lot.
The SIG P210 is very accurate and expensive. The only 9mm's that will approach it are the Perfomance Center 5906s, the Walther P88, the P7, and some Hi-Powers (GP and custom). The new Beretta (name escapes me) me might be a viable choice if it's similar to what the Army is using now in matches. The French MAB PA-15 might have what it takes. I've heard they shoot very well, but have never fired one. The old Benelli B76 is another good shooter, but I don't think it's quite in the same league with some of the others mentioned above. Two other 9mm's that always displayed outstanding accuracy for me were the HK P9S (especially the competition) and the Steyr GB. The GBs trigger is rather bad, but that gun could really shoot off the bench if you had the patience for it.

>>You did not mention what type of "target shooting" you intended to participate in.

Someone else said it as 'paper punching' and I guess that's closest to it.
I shoot at an indoor range, so the distance isn't very far, 60 ft. max.
I do it for fun and relaxation with the family.
Here's how it actually works. In order to get the best groups, I have to really concentrate on all the things I've been told to do. Sight alignment, trigger control, breath...all that stuff. When I concentrate to the point I'm doing well, I am _NOT_ thinking about crap at work, worries or stresses. So it is relaxing for me. But when I am not shooting well, it only frustrates me more.

And for my needs, I'd be absolutely thrilled to shoot 2" at 25 yds. Imagine how that would be at 40 ft. I'd take that in a flash.

[This message has been edited by David Berkowitz (edited January 01, 2000).]

>>I can't believe they finally let you out of prison. Why don't you stick with something familiar to you, such as, oh let me see, oh yeah, a 44 CALIBER.

I know you won't believe this, but I think I heard before <G>
And it was a .44 caliber, snub I think.

Sometimes this name can get me into a lot of trouble on gun boards, most of the time it is good fun.

EAA Witness full-size steel frame. Inexpensive, and that leaves enough room in the budget for a gunsmith-fit match barrel.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

just a thought but you might consider the sig 239. its a compact 9 m/m with a slimmer grip.it seems to have inherited the accuracy sigs are know to pocess.good luck.

------------------

cliff

David almost any of the good quality guns others have mentioned should shoot 2" @50'. That really isn't very challenging. The other limiting factors are going to be the quality of the ammo, the sights and trigger on the gun... and, of course, what sort of day you're having.

The most accurate 9mm I've ever shot was one of the S&W Performance Center 5906s which was a true one-holer @25 yd. with Federal Match ammo.

Some gun writers have raved about the Walther (P-5?) as being really accurate. Don't know, never shot one. Same with the SIG 210.

Why not go to a range that rents guns and try as many as possible.

Berkowitz? That's almost as bad as calling yourself Manson, Dahmer, or Bundy! Anyway, I'm just a few days away from buying a USP 9mm fullsize so that's my .02's.

Okay, you want a 9mm to punch targets with. I have a few suggestions:

1) If this gun is only going to be a range gun for plinking, I'd get something with a single action trigger - SA or DA, but not DAO. This rules out a Glock. They are great combat handguns, but the trigger really takes some getting used to. I would never consider a Glock a range gun. JMHO

2) Buy a gun that is all metal. Polymer makes a gun lighter for carry, not for range practice. Generally, I'd stay away from aluminum alloy frames. Go for steel, it lasts longer. The only exception I can think of is the Beretta 92 series - they hold up pretty well.

3) Buy a full sized gun. The reason that the manufacturers came out with smaller guns was for CCW. If you aren't going to carry it, whay give up the better feel and longer sight radius of a full sized gun?

I have three 9mm guns - Beretta 92FS, Glock 19, and CZ 75B. All are very good guns. I can recommend both the Beretta and CZ as great range guns - this is what I use them for. The G19 is a carry gun - not as much fun at the range, but a great CCW gun.

I'd recommend the CZ 75B as the best range gun dollar for dollar. You should be able to find a new CZ 75B for under $350 at gun shows. It should be able to compete with any other gun mentioned so far.

Just my 2 cents,
Gino

Dear Son of Sam,
(Yes I remember)
I have great fun with my Ruger P95.
Although, my principle carry gun to be used on people like you is the Walther P99, both guns will shoot sub 1in groups at combat distances. This is usually good enough to stop the bad guy. How did you get them to build you a range in prison? Oh, I get it, silly me, New York believes in the right of Bad Guys to keep and bear arms!!!!!

the glock "not a range gun" i will take issus with that my 17 is both a carry as well as my idpa gun. 25yd shots no problem, alos my sig 226 can an will do the same. as for a good shooter in 9mm no one here except gino has mentioned the cz75. definately a gun worth looking into. oh yeah also the h&k usp9 is another fine shooter (but then again plastic guns are not good range guns?) and outside of concealment the reason mfg's went to compact/subcompact was the ban on civilian purchase of hi-cap mags (the restriction of 10rd limit with the capability of using hi-cap mags as glock and sig have done)
hey gino nothing personal but some of us like tupperware. i shoot at the range what i carry in public

I shot the cz75 and it felt and shot mighty nice. It fits well in my small hand. I mention this because you said other folks like your wife and other members of
your family would be shooting it. For quality, price, and shootability, it has been the best deal I have seen at any of the shows. They are now making it in a chopped version for conceal carry, if you have any thought in that direction. If I was in the market for a nine, this is one I would take a hard look at. (already have a G19)

[This message has been edited by ak9 (edited January 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by ak9 (edited January 02, 2000).]

Back