For range use: Python or GP100?

high_caliber

Disregarding price, which would be better for range use: a Colt Python or a Ruger GP100 (6" barrels)? I am planning to shoot about 500 rounds of .357 with 38 Special loads per week. Thanks in advance

I perfer the Python, but the GP100 shoots well also. If this again not considering cost. For cost it would still be the Python for me as I own one. But a new GP100 goes ofr at least 1/2 the price of mostly any python.

Under the conditions you've specified, it's difficult not to opt for the Python.

However, I go to the range a lot and believe continuous practice really does develop excellent proficiency. I also believe one should practice with his carry handguns. I'm not sure I'd want to use a Python in these ways (although it's clearly a personal choice, I'd want to "preserve" a Python), but I have not problem using either of my GP-100s (KGP-141s) frequently -- for range and for carry.

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried out the Python and it sure is a smooth shooting pistol compared to my 4" barrel GP100. I would guess the trigger pull at about 1.5 to 2 pounds.

RWK: thanks for your input. I alternate between a Springfield 1911 and a Taurus 605 for carry. My next .357 will be strictly for range use.

Back