For Garand owners...

Cliff

As well as other battle rifle afficionados...

Some great info can be found at: http://members.home.com/stuka/csptips.html

Lots of good stuff gleaned from Dick Culver's excellent site at http://www.jouster.com

A sample concerning PMC 150gr. as suitable Garand food asked on a different thread in this forum.

---
Re: M1 Ammo

EMAIL: m8p6p6gv@coastalnet.com
Date: 02 Apr 1999
Time: 09:16:20

Comments

In the absence of surplus M-2 Ball of various makes, or milsurp AP, the one company that I know of which loads commercial M-2 is
PMC. I have heard different things about their ammo in the past, but I can tell you that I have shot their new (red and white package)
M-2 ball with complete satisfaction in my Garands. I wrote PMC and inquired about the burning rate of the powder used, as I was
concerned about port pressure in the Garand. PMC's reply was that the ammo is loaded with a powder that replicates the burning rate
of 4895, (THE powder for Garands). I have questioned the type of powder in the Federal/American Eagle and Remington/UMC
150gr/FMJ loads because the muzzle velocity if so fast compared to M-2 (and the PMC M-2). I weighed the PMC cases and they
weigh the same as the LC69 cases that I weighed, about 4-5 grains heavier than the commercial cases I weighed at the same time. I
beleive that PMC is loading a true copy of military M-2 ball, and I shoot it when I don't have any Milsurp to shoot, it runs about $8.00
a box around here. Hope this helps more than it confuses! Bruce
---

Apologies to those TFL'ers already familiar with these links.

Cliff

Thanks for the link Cliff. I had one of them but not the other. I wish I had a dollar for all the M2 ball that I burned up in the early 60's in my 03A3. Believe it or not Sears used to sell it for $3.95 per hundred. You had to kind of sort through it though, sometimes there would be a some tracer, or AP mixed in with the ball. It came in 20 round boxes, one time I had one 20 rd box filled with API (silver color tip). Some of it dated back to 42 but it shot like hell. You just had to be sure to clean the bore with soap and water. I bought 2 pounds of IMR-4895 the other day for use in my Garand and the powder alone was $19.99 a pound. Oh well!

------------------
Carlyle

Back