for any PPC shooters

LeonCarr

Inactive
This is for Mr. John Kilgore, or any other PPC shooters on TFL:

I am a LEO with aspirations of PPC greatness. What handguns do ya'll use for PPC competition, what loads do you use, and what kind of practice regimen do you follow. I know that some of the answers fall in to the "Top Secret" category, but any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
LeonCarr

I'm wanting to get into PPC shooting as well, but its not too popular here in PA. I think most use revolvers, tuned S&W 686's or the like.

The NRA does have several classifications, one is where LEO's use their duty weapon. No modifications allowed, except grips.

Three basic categories.

"Target" revolver.
"Target" pistol.
"Distinguished", which is duty gun in original configuration except for grips and "smoothing" work. External appearance has to be stock.

Most target revolvers are S&W K-frames with 6" bull barrels, pre-set sights (intantly adjustable for 15, 25 and 50 yards.) Much trigger work.
One sees some Pythons and Rugers. An occational L (or N) frame.

Most target pistols are 1911s in some racegun configuration. I know of one S&W M52 with magazines altered to take six rounds.

Distinguished guns are either duty guns or 6 inch stock Smiths; seems to be even between K and L. I haven't seen a Colt revolver as a distinguished gun... could be some.

Practise.
Shoot each position individually.
At 50 yards, one must fire 6 rounds seated, 6 rounds prone, 6 rounds left hand barricade and 6 rounds right hand barricade.
So fire two or three cylinders from the seated position and check your target. Do separate targets for the other positions (prone, lh and rh.) Check your groups and see what sight adjustments and alterations you have to make. And what you have to practise most.
Same for 25 yards.
Get sighted in well.

Do a match. Make notes to yourself.

There are probably some books on PPC, but I don't know of any titles.

I love how PPC guns look! It's funny when I'm th eonly one of my friends that has a decent collection of revo's to match his autos. Can you all recommend any smiths for PPC guns? Does Ron Power still work on guns?

a lot of custom-made ppc-revolvers are based on s&w´s
- a lot of them on the smaller K-frame, but still enough on L-frames.

I know some pretty well shooting guys all using s&w´s.
take in consideration that the kind of "customization" is the important thing
- the origin gun (like s&w 686) only remains with its name ...

Back