?? for 03-A3 action experts.

michaelcj

I had a 03-A3 action barreled and the bolt handle modified /bent for scope clearance. The smith I used did a really nice job including the finishing of the action and barrel.

I have been working on a new stock and was at the point of cutting/carving the clearance for the bolt handle when I noticed……

With the action free of the stock and the "bolt closed" [as far as it will go], there is about .024 gap between the bottom face of the rear lug and the top of the action rail. This corresponds to the top of the rear lug being the same .024 higher [not in exact line with] the extractor.

It's clear that the inside face of the bolt handle is bottoming out on the action stopping the rotation.

Question is: Am I correct that the rear lug needs to be on the rail and aligned with the extractor for the bolt to be considered fully closed ?

If so, relieving the action by that .024 at the point it is contacted by the bolt handle should correct the issue ???

NOTE: The bolt is a 1903 [ not A3 ] that was fitted/headspaced by the smith when he installed the new Douglas 7X57 barrel on the action.

Thanks for any help and I will try to clarify if I've made a hash of asking the question.

Mike

Last edited:
If it were mine, I'd make sure the bolt was fully closing(ie. the bolt lugs were fully seated in their recesses). When I weld on a new bolt handle, I grind the weld to allow a paper thickness of clearance between bolt handle shank and the side of the receiver.

Check to see just where the interference is. If the bolt is being stopped on the edge of the receiver rail (not the top), then determine if metal can be removed from the bolt without weakening it too much. If not, cut a square notch into the receiver to let the bolt close fully.

Jim

Notch was cut into the receiver by the smith…. seems like it is just .025 too shallow…..

So I'll take care of that.. Just wanted to confirm I was on the right track.

Thanks guys.

Mike

Okay done… and touchup blued.

Rifle temporarily installed in an inexpensive synthetic stock that I found on sale at Natchez….

The wood I'm working with on the permanent stock deserves patience and care so quite a ways to go with that one… but….

I really wanted to shoot this thing as the barreling and metal work was done almost a year ago.

Not expected, but it would be cool if it grouped well in the cheap stock… no bedding, just the action screws. and everything ahead of the front bridge is free floated.

Rainy and T-storms predicted today so maybe next weekend.

Patience is a virtue…. but sometimes overrated.

M

Back