• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

font size problem

deanf

Is it me, or did the fonts at TFL go from user definable with the Size button in Explorer, to locked down in a very small size? Sometime in the last several hours.

I hope this change is not permanent. These tired old eyes have a hard time reconciling the very small text, and it will cut down on my TFL participation.

Dean-
Real perceptive....there was a change made around 3AM. But it was to a font size of 12, which is normal and hasn't changed my IE browser at all.

Work with me here.
IE Version:
Where do you set fonts:
OS and Version:
Screen Settings:
Rich

IE Toolbar (which I've customized to include Size button)
Win NT 4.0 (I'm on a network at work)
1024 x 768

You can set it for whatever you want, I would just like to be able to override that at my end. Thanks.

(Ok I used your directions and checked the box for ignore font size settings. Never knew that was there. This will make my web browsing a lot easier from now on, not just here either. I'm glad I brought it up. Thanks.)

Try this in Netscape:

Edit menu-> Pull down to "Preferences..."

Under "Appearance" are the "Font" preference settings. You now have three options:

* Use my default fonts, overriding document-specified fonts.
* Use document-specified fonts, but disable Dynamic Fonts.
* Use document-specified fonts, including Dynamic Fonts.

If you are seeing smaller fonts, your browser is probably set to: "Use all document-specified fonts, including Dynamic Fonts."

Try changing it to "Use my default fonts, overriding document-specified fonts." You will then have to set your default fonts to a larger size in the same window.

The problem is the stylesheet that the page uses. It is set to:

FONT-SIZE: 10px;

That corresponds to 10 pixels. You can't, in any way shape or form, correspond text size to pixel size. 10 pixels high on my PalmPilot is large, and on my UNIX machine at work (2048x1600), it is unbelieveably small. I can get 160 lines of text on the screen at once at that size. Normal text is usually between 25 and 50 lines per screen. Whenever you see a web site that uses text sizes in pixels, it lets you immediately know that they don't have much experience with the web, because they "just don't get it." The don't get the purpose behind the web. It's about sharing. It's not about saying "go away, because you're not using the approved resolution for this web site."

Back