Folsom Batavia Leader Range Report - Pattern

Bushmaster1313

Three shells of from full choke left barrel at 25 yards with target shot.

4f150726-9f46-4c04-906a-fedc0bbde642_zps7cba12f7.jpg

CIMG1716_zps1c5812e0.jpg

CIMG1720_zpsdcc0387a.jpg

Nice looking old gun. Sorry, but that tells me nothing. You need to shoot one shot five or ten times at 40 yards and count percentages and figure distribution to really mean something. Unless it's a skeet choke, which your script says it isn't.

Very nice old Baker Gun and Forging Co. shotgun. Baker was founded in 1890, was sold to H&D Folsom in 1919, Folsom continued to put parts together and sell completed guns until 1923, after which Crescent took over the name, However any Crescent guns will have a F Prefix on the serial number. Your shotgun looks as if it was just taken off the shelf, have to wonder where it has been all these years to be in such beautiful shape.

Your shotgun looks as if it was just taken off the shelf, have to wonder where it has been all these years to be in such beautiful shape.

Well, yesterday it was at the range with me :)

However, because I recently bought it from a New Jersey gun shop, my guess is that it has been sitting in some attic or closet for the past 60 years, or so, and it was only taken out to wipe it down with some oil.

I wouldn't want to shoot anything edible at that range with that gun & load

That makes good sense.

I got the gun to try shooting trap with an old double.

But the post raises a good point, what would people shoot with a modified/full 12 gauge field double back in the 1920's

Oooh what a nice old double barrel, DADDY LIKE! :D

I need to add a side-buh-side to my collection fairly soon. They aren't getting any easier to find and I've always adored them ever since Dad taught me how to shoot a shotgun with his Browning BSS 20 gauge.

No plastic wads.

Modern shotshells have greatly tightened up patterns.

The old full guns with fiber wads shoot about like a light modified does with modern shells.

The old full choke guns shoot very tight patterns with modern shells. Many have those tight chokes reamed out, for just this reason.

A dime will enter the muzzle of a modern full choke 12 gauge gun. Not so with an old full choke 12.

Plastic shut cup type wads changed shotgunning, in a good way. The amount of shot is pretty much the same. With modern shells more of it is in the pattern.

Back