Follow up n Next question..

SJCbklyn

I have decided to get a .223 and have also decided not to get the Ruger American predator. I researched it till I was satisfied I had enough to make a decision. There are just too many negative reviews. I'm sure it's a great gun. Not looking to offend owners of them.

Instead I'm going with a 700 sps tactical 20" barrel. I'll put a vortex hst on it by Xmas.

My knowledge on .the .223 is limited. How would the 9" twist amd 20" barrel handle heavier match ammo? I have read up some on this but actual experience helps.

Thanks

"How would the 9" twist amd 20" barrel handle heavier match ammo?"

Short barrel (vs a 24") and slow twist are less than optimal for heavy bullet accuracy.
I do have a 20" AR with a 1-9 twist that shoots one brand of 69 BTHP quite well but it's not a guarantee this will work across the board.

Although it will shoot just fine, a 20" barrel is a little on the short side. You could wring another 200fps out of it if it had a 24" barrel instead. 1:9" twist will shoot bullets up to about 70-ish grains well, but longer, heavier bullets will not shoot as well as lighter ones in the 62-69 gr range. All in all, it should work well, but I would look for one with a little bit longer barrel.

Please let us know about these negative reviews. All that I've read are glowing, particularly the Predator.

The 8 twist on the Ruger is much more desirable for shooting heavier target bullets, but the 9 twist on the Remington will do fine with mid-weights and might surprise you with heavier weight bullets. I wouldn't worry about the 20" barrel. With some cartridges you might see 150-200 fps less speed compared to a 24" barrel. But 223 does fine at 20" and I'd doubt 24" would make more than 50-75 fps difference with a 223.

When you're pushing the limit of stability, you need all the velocity you can get from the cartridge. Losing 200 fps could make the diff between barely workable and totally worthless.

A 700 SPS Tactical is still an entry level hunting rifle. However, like Scorch says, it'll do. And like jmr40 says, the only really difference you'll see with a 20" barrel is less velocity than a 24" barrel. Original M-16/AR-15's came with 20 inchers.

A short barrel on a tactical weapon (AR, etc.,) makes sense because of its intended use, which involves getting in and out of cramped places like vehicles, and better maneuverability indoors.

With a bolt action rifle, the only point to having a short barrel is to make a handy carbine for woods hunting, and frankly I would go with bigger rounds for that.

The .223 doesn't have a lot going for it, ballistically, there are a great many rounds that out perform it. It's strength is adequate performance from semi and full auto firearms, being able to put out a lot of rounds rapidly.

That's not happening with a bolt action, so what's the benefit to a short barrel?? (and don't say "stiffer" because #1, that depends on the barrel profile, and #2, not many can tell the difference (if any) once you get off the benchrest.

Penalties for a shorter barrel?? lower velocity.

If you are just punching paper, no real penalties. Miss a shot on the target range, it's just more data for the data book.

If you are hunting, no real penalties as you shouldn't be taking long shots at game animals with a 223.

If you are varminting, there is a penalty. Slower velocity means more wind drift, but that's about it.

But a 20" 1:9 twist is going to get best accuracy with the 68~69gr BTHP bullets, unless you get one of the barrels that manages to stabilize a 75gr bullet (it sometimes happen, but it is marginal, very marginal). Hunting bullets in that weight range should be quite accurate as well.

So it really depends on what you want to do with it.

Jimro

The primary purpose is to punch paper at an affordable price. I will definitly push it too it limit of distance but aside from the scope, base & rings I'm not modifying the gun any further.

Back