Folding stocks?

Don't get one. With the location of the safety being on top, you can't easliy activate or deactivate the safety. Folding stocks are best used on shotguns with the safety located by the trigger. I know this wasn't the answer you wanted, but I would hate to see you waste your money. That's just my opinion.

I'm with Icopy, save your money. Too hard to control with the stock folded, can't get a decent cheek-weld with it extended, and can't reach the safety either way.

M1911

Save your money, Carl. Until we develop a hinge in our forearm, there's no advantage, and several reasons NOT to get one.

Even on an 870,the configuration cuts performance,and then there's that safety thing.

Centerfire systems (18009501231)carries ATI folding stocks for the 500. They are the same company that makes the sks folding stock. They are hinged & fold to the right allowing access to the safety on top of the receiver. A friend of mine has one on his 500 & it works really good. Nice tight lockup when unfolded. Hope this helps.

Hmmm. Interference with top-mounted safety - hadn't considered that one. Was pondering top-folding stock interference with sights instead.

The goal is to build something that can be made very compact for storage in a car trunk alongside a "bug-out bag". How about a collapsing stock?

Somebody out there builds a take down stock for some makes, Carl, I recall reading about in G&WFLE, or similiar.

Or, find a 97 TD like Randy Cain.

I've built up truck guns on 870s and 500s, the only stock I haven't managed to break is the metal Butler Creek side-folders. If I recall correctly, I've put together 10-15 guns like the 870 here in the last few years and no one has complained. Just remember to Loctite the screws and you will be OK.

(sorry about the other junk in the picture, don't have much loaded on my 'spare' web site)

cowboy_now.jpg

ctdonath --

Top folding stocks interfering with sights shouldnt matter. If you try to aim, the recoil of the SG will knock you in the head. In the PG mode, these shotguns are made for hip shots or for compact carry.

I will not disagree that a shotgun with pistol-grip only is not as easy to use as one with a full stock or (my favorite) pistol gripped full stock, but I haven't had as much trouble as some of you guys. Maybe it's because I was using the Pachmayr pistol grip, which is quite heavy, and helped with recoil. You can use the sights to aim with it, you just have to hold your elbow close to your body, tucked into your side. It works well. Another thing that REALLY helps is the pistol grip forearm as well. Great snake gun.

But as Icopy says, he wants a folder for space saving. I like the Choate folders myself. They make a great top-folder that I'm considering for my Winchester Defender, then there's the Choate side folder, which would probably work better with the Mossberg safety. Choate stocks are just like Butler Creek stocks, with a plastic coating on the entire piece for "looks".

I think they're worth a look for you.

Onslaught --

Thanks for tip on how to aim with pg stick. I'll try it on my 870P next time at the range.

By "interfering with the sights" I meant that when folded it would bang into the ghost-ring or holo-sight that I hope to install. I really like the compactness and looks of the factory 870 top-folding stock, but it won't fit with the intended sights (unless a carefully placed hole lets it fold over and around it).

I have a pistol-grip-only M590 and am familiar with how to handle it without needing dental work. Tips always welcome, of course...

Compactness is paramount, comfort is much less relevant.

Nice to know that the side-folding Choate stocks are the same as Butler Creek ones, just with covering plastic. Will pass on the plastic to save weight (not much, I know, but...).

Back