Folding clip on pocket knife, reccomendations?

Atc1man

I'm looking for a 3-4" folding knife with the thumb knob for one handed operation with the side clip, and a non serrated blade. Something that won't break if it hits bone, and in stainless steel. I've got a cheapie, however I don't like the blade on it (serrated) and its already starting to wear out from misc. use.
Any suggestions under, say, $30?

If you're talking a knife for self-defense, don't limit yourself to $30. Yes, a $30 knife can kill you. It's another thing to INVEST in one knife, versus stealing or finding whatever a thief can.

For $30 though, mabe a Gerber, or something by Columbia River.
I prefer Syderco and Benchmade.

Log on to www.bestknives.com for pictures, specs, and some good prices. I'd look for something in ATS-34 steel, and a rust-resistant coating. I prefer thumb hole openers. If you like thumb disc openers, or thumb stud openers, look at Ken Onion. His "speed safe" is very fast.

Plan on spending $80-$100 for the knife, plus another $12-$20 for some sharpening implements.

BTW, if you plan on stabbing bone, folders aren't always the best choice. You want a small fixed blade, like a Benchmade Nimravus or, my favorite, the Camillus CQB2. Of course, those come with small belt sheaths, not belt clips.

Take a look at the Al Mar Ultralight series. Three sizes, clip can be mounted on either side, dual thumbstud, very light weight.

I don't 'plan' on stabbing bone, but when I go cycling its a little difficult to carry my snubbie...so the knife becomes my defensive weapon.

With that kind of price restriction I think I'd support the Cold Steel decision. I think they have good blades for that price. Hop onto eBay and see what there is to see. I got a knife that's at my gunshop for $160 on eBay for $90.

I say spend a little more (say $50) and get a Spyderco Endura. Great knife for a great price!

IMO, it's Spyderco or CRKT at that price.

Benchmade or Emerson for a little more.

I saw a Spydie Calpso Jr. for $30 the other day, look around.

- Gabe

I like Spyderco. One of the reasons is that when (not if, when) I lose the bugger, it won't piss me off as much as it would if it were a $100 knife.

M1911

I don't really care what brand of knife I carry for defensive applications, as long as it has certain features.

Plain Edge

Ambidextrous opening device

Metal Clip

Textured handle

I'm also fond of triangular blade shapes and I find opening holes preferable to studs or notches. Handle has got to be "grippy". I don't care if it's plastic,metal, G10, whatever. But it has to stay in my bloody, sweaty, slippery hand. I, also, prefer tip-up carry.

Having said all of that, I carry plain old Spyderco Delicas. They meet all of my criteria and they are fairly inexpensive.

For a slightly larger blade, the Endura works.

I've been carrying a Browning Barracuda and I kind of like it. Rubber inserts in the handle make it extra grippy. It can almost be 'flipped' open and I gives a nice solid audible click when it locks. One hand closing as well. The top half of the blade has some kind of black anti-glare coating which at first I thought was kind of cheesy, but it hasn't scratched in over a year.

You can't have too many knives.

Spyderco Delicas are a good choice (I find that the opening hole is easier to utilize than a knob-type opening mechanism). The Columbia River Knife and Tool Marzitelli Prowler is another knife that fills that same role. Both are good knives and fit the cheap, dependable and clip requirements.

If you wanted to spend a little more, you could get a CRKT Crawford/Kasper Folder it runs $60 MSRP but it's a helluva blade for the money.

It sounds like a CRKT Point Guard will fit your criteria perfectly.

When I thought I lost my Benchmade Stryker (an excellent knife!), I decided to buy a temporary replacement to hold me over until I would find another Stryker for a decent price. I found the CRKT Point Guard and was completely satisfied by the purchase.

Like the Benchmade, it features a thumb disk and flicks open lightning fast. It's incredibly well made for a production knife at that price.

These quality knives come in two sizes, mine's the smaller one. The larger model should cost around $5 more. You're only looking at around $35.

fd2f9a49.jpg

For the money I'd suggest a S&W SWAT knife. Its my prefered knife for carrying all teh time. If your pockets are deeper you can't beat Cold Stell or Benchmade.

But the S&W at $35.00 is almost disposable and a damn good knife.

Cowdogpete
For the money I'd suggest a S&W SWAT knife. Its my prefered knife for carrying all teh time. If your pockets are deeper you can't beat Cold Stell or Benchmade.

But the S&W at $35.00 is almost disposable and a damn good knife.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I echo this 100%. You can pick up a new S&W Swat for between $21-$30 and nothing else is made as well for the money.

If you choose to buy something that you can invest more money in, I think Benchmade makes the best production knives. Be prepared to spend about $100 on one but also be prepared to think it was worth it. Check out E-bay, somtimes you can get really good deals on slightly used knives.

Back