Focusing a scope

Doug

I'm looking to buy a scope soon but I have a question. Looking through a 3x9 varix II scope, objects that are closer than 20 yards or so are out of focus. I know that you can adjust focus for the reticle at the eyepiece but I've also found that with further adjustments I can bring close objects into focus without changing focus out to infinity. Are there any negatives in doing this? Will it affect the parallax or accuracy of the scope?

Doug

The only thing that will affect the scope's accuracy would be any parallax you induced with your adjusting. So, set the gun on a bench, sight at something out at 50 to 100 yards, and move your head a bit to see if the crosshairs appear to move. If they do, that's parallax. If they don't appear to move, you're in Fat City.

If you do find parallax, adjust the eyepiece until it's gone.

FWIW, my Leupold VariX II 3x9 dates from 1970-ish; never a problem.

Best luck, Art

Edited PS: If you have no parallax out at 50 to 100 yards, but some at 20 yards, ignore it. It won't affect practical hunting accuracy...

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited October 16, 1999).]

I have been taught to focus the eye piece for a clear, solid black, very sharp reticle (cross hairs). This is also Leupolds recommendation. Most good scopes are Parallax-free at 150 yards (60 yards for a rim fire rifle) An adjustable Objective will allow you to "focus" and be Parallax-free at any distance. In reality, unless your really a serious target shooter you'll never see any effect of parallax in your general shooting. i.e.,per Leupold, with a 4x hunting scope "the maximum possible error at 500 yards is a mere 1.3 inches!" Hope this helps & happy shooting.

There is only two ways to focus a scope. The first and most common is to move the objective lens in or out to focus it at a particular distance and the other is to move the erector cell forward or back to focus it, this is the method Leupold uses with the adjustment on the left side of the adjustment turret. Most scopes are focused at a set distance where it is parallax free at the time of manufacture. Generally 100 or 150 yds If you want to shoot at close range where the scope wont focus you have to have the objective screwed out . Usually you can send it back to the manufacturer and they will do it at a small cost

Back