Fobus Holster

MSPHUNTER

I have never used a paddle holster, but I want to know how the Fobus paddle holster compares to the belt holster. What would you choose and why? Also what are each ones advantages and disadvanteges?

I have a Fobus paddle hoster that fits both my P12 and SA Champion. IMHO, it offers all that Fobus claims for it, and the price is right for a utility holster for snap-on/snap-off convenience.

Retention is provided principally by the molding captivating the trigger guard. Gun retension is adequate to assure that you can present the gun without 'drawing' the holster, but I'm not really confident that the gun would remain holstered if I fell down.

The holster remains positioned on the waist without tilting.

Overall, good value and serviceable.

My real problem with holsters of this type, whether paddle or belt, is that the thumb safety is exposed. It's really quite easy to accidentally move the thumb safety to fire position by contact between safety and body when you're in and out of your vehicle.

I think my next paddle holster purchase will be a design like the Safariland 5181, featuring the convenience of a paddle with a shield between gun/thumb safety and body. I saw a new Mike Benedict paddle design that looks great, if you want to stay with plastic.

I have a Fobus for my 1911 and I love it. For the money I don't think you can get a better holster. They are not as pretty as some of the other kydex holsters. I've looked at the G-Code, and some of the Mad Dog holsters and they are nicer, but the Fobus costs a lot less, and it still works really good.

I understand that Fobus holsters are not made from Kydex, but from another plastic material. They have been known to crack after some wear. But the prices seem to be the best around.

I have a Fobus for my PPK, P99, and my Kimber. I've never had a problem with the thumb safety on the Kimber.

I've used them now for about a year on the P99 and PPK and they are a great value in a paddle holster.

I also have a Safariland paddle for the P99 and Kimber. It also fits the USP series. I forget the model number, but it also is a good paddle holster.

Back