Foam in storage cases: good or bad?

Biff Tannen

Based on your experience, are the foam inserts in plastic handgun cases damaging to the firearm in any way, such as holding in moisture, or deteriation over time and "sticking" to the gun, causing corrosion?
Thanks, stay safe, and God bless!

My take is this:

In theory - foam is bad. It has the potential to hold moisture, deteriorate, etc. A person who might neglect a firearm could have their neglect compounded or intensified by foam.

However, in practice - I think it's fine. I have several arms inherited which were stored 30+ years when not being used in foam or fur or flannel lined cases. All of them are in excellent conditions. The men who put them away knew and cared enough to NOT throw the cases in a damp dark basement and forget about them. They were oiled up before being put away, and stored in the most climate controlled area possible (which was ususally a closet or a gun safe IN a closet. A person who intends to care for their firearm well, will not find foam or other liners to be a problem. To make doubly sure though, I am still using those same foam, fur or flannel lined cases, but I have thrown a packet of silica gel in with the guns.

The blue foam in S&W presentation cases does seem to deteriorate over time and adhere to the gun, both metal and wood. No big problem, but does take lacquer thinner or similar solvent to remove.

Bob Wright

What kind of foam?
There are several, all different.
Open cell (soft cheap squishy) is a sponge & can soak up water vapor & crumble form Ozone exposure.
Closed cell (Firmer, less bendy, like Yoga mats & sleeping pads for camping) is much better.
*hint, hint*:D

Last edited:
My own personal, anecdotal experience mirrors what others have already said. I have stored some guns in cheap plastic cases with foam for several years and have observed no ill effects. I agree with JNad, in theory it could do those things such as hold moisture thus rusting your guns which is why manufacturers warn you about it.

Having said that, I live in Colorado where humidity and moisture are almost non-existent. You can build up static electricity in blizzard here! :p

Back