FNH 5.7x28 in Clear Ballistics Gel

5pins

6bADdQvl.jpg

Test Gun: FN Five-seveN.
Barrel length: 4.8 Inches
Ammunition: FNH 5.7x28 40gr Hornady V-Max SS197SP, FNH 5.7x28mm 27gr HP SS198LF.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.
Gel Temperature 72 degrees.

HIaiAIHl.jpg

The 5.7x28mm was designed in conjunction with the P90 PDW (Personal Defense Weapon) and has had its fair amount of controversy. I think the idea was to give support troops a weapon that would perform better than the more a standard pistol round at penetrating body armor. Some consider this to be a rifle round while others say it’s nothing more than a glorified .22 magnum. I personally think the latter is probably closer to right. As you will see just about any rifle round will put perform the 5.7. The FN Five-seveN is a blowback operated pistol with a 20 magazine. It’s a soft shooting pistol made largely of polymer with a large grip, three dot sights, and a decent trigger pull.

The first type of ammo I used was the SS197SP. Round one had a velocity of 1729fps. The bullet was recovered in mutable parts with the polymer tip recover in two parts at 1.5 inches and 2.5 inches. The jacket separated at 9.5 inches and the recovered lead core stopped at 18.5 inches and weighed 25.6 grains. Round two traveled 1749fps and penetrated to 18.5 inches but didn’t expand. The polymer tip broke into two parts and was recovered at 3 inches and 9.5 inches.

Cn4L3xTl.jpg

The SS198LF is a lead-free round and is supposed to be a law enforcement only round but not restricted by law and is easily found for anyone to purchase. Round one hit at a velocity of 2047fps curved upward and left the top of the block at 8.25 inches and was recovered on the floor. The second round had a velocity of 2083fps curved to the left and stopped at 8.75 inches and was recovered base forward without expanding.
96T1T4Dl.jpg

I trap, and use it to dispatch pests quickly. 22LR and 22WMR aren't even close
in living tissue. The simple truth is the gel medium doesn't do justice to what the
5.7 does to living tissue. Like the 45ACP, which also does very poorly in ballistics tests,
but has what it take to get the job done.

Non-expansion can not credibly be blamed on lack of impact velocity.
SS198 is not supposed to expand. It's designed to tumble shortly after entry, resulting in a large wound cavity without risk of over penetration. There are lots of tests available with SS198. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and is a defense not a hunting round.

Some consider this to be a rifle round while others say it’s nothing more than a glorified .22 magnum. I personally think the latter is probably closer to right. As

That is an oft cited comment about the 5.7 pistol...a glorified .22 magnum.
It is a misleading and inaccurate comment.

The 5.7 produces .22 magnum RIFLE ballistics from a five inch barrel PISTOL.
Kinda like having a varmint rifle in your pocket.

TheGunGeek wrote:
"SS198 is not supposed to expand."

Maybe so. 8.5" of penetration that veers off-line is not what I would want in a defensive pistol round. I've known too many beefy guys where that would not do the trick. I knew a big ol' boy who took a mag dump from a BHP and walked under his own power into the ambulance. He also walked out of the hospital a couple weeks later. (Of course, a mere two EMTs were never going to lift him without mechanical or hydraulic assistance.)

What about the other round? One expanded & one did not. If 1700+fps is not doing the trick, perhaps it is time to do a re-think on cartridge design.

Curious: Is there any FN5.7 cartridge (from a pistol) which reliably punches though 12-18" of medium on a generally straight line that also expands?

darkgael wrote:
"Kinda like having a varmint rifle in your pocket."

And I thought my trouser pockets were generous.

Back