FNFAL HELP

I won't comment on which is better, but I think the FAL was license produced in about 56 different countries, most of them using the metric system nation wide. I think only the British Commonwealth rifles weere produced in inch pattern.
Jeff

If I'm not mistaken, the UK, Canada and Australia and even Ishapore of India made inch measurements FALs. I also believe that the H&R made FALs were also inch.

Everybody else went with metric - including the Israelis who have been selling us their parts.

As to which is better, given equal workmanship and materials and ammo diet (and care), they should last the same. Go with parts and magazine availability. It's easier to keep your FAL running that way.

4v50 Gary

Like the other posters stated, there is no "better" vis a vis inch and metric. One word of caution though; stay away from the Ishapores. The Indian weapon is a bastardization of both types, therefore the Ishapore parts don't fit anything but Ishapores.
When the Indian gov't invited trials for a new battle rifle, several companies tried out and the FN won. The Indian gov't said thanks but no thanks. They then went and bought FNFALs on the open market, took their own measurements and built their own FNs. That way they didn't have to pay any contract or royalty monies to Herstal.

One of my compadres advised me that the Indian made FN-FAL is a product of reverse engineering. I checked my copy of Stevens & Blake and learned that the Indians even touted it as an indigenous product of their own ingenuity. This irked the Directors of FN and when the Indians visited Liege to obtain the blueprints to the latest design, FN agreed to provide it free contigent upon the Indians admitting that their rifle is a copy of the FN-FAL. The Indians refused and FN never gave them the blueprints. Per Stevens & Blake the bottom line is that the Indian gun is neither compatible with the metric or Imperial Inch system. My apologies to all for the disinformation.

Back