FN49 in 7mm Mauser

tangolima

Friend wants to sell his for $600 ish. Good condition with nice bore. I only read about the rifle. I know they are mostly in 8mm Mauser (Egypt contract). This one seems a bit of an oddity. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks.

-TL

It's not an oddity, at least one South American government ordered several thousand of these. Which government it was escapes me, right now, I think Venezuela.

In nice condition, $600 is more than a fair price, FN49s seem to run at least $800 around here.

There are 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, and 30/06 versions of these from various countries.

They were made in four calibers, IIRC, 7x57 for Venezuela, .30-'06 for Belgium, 8x57 for Egypt and 7.65x54 for Argentina. Prototype/test rifles were made in 6.5x55 for Sweden, 7.5 French for France, and .308 for the U.S. No quantities were made in .308/7.62 NAT0 and the gun was out of production when that cartridge was finalized. Guns that have recently turned up in 7.62 NATO are from Argentina and were converted in that country from 7.65x54.

Jim

A friend of mine has on just like that. GET IT;) you're going to absolutely love it. The 7X57 is a very gentle kicking load & the gas system softens it even more.

With the gas system closed up, those things can be dangerous at both ends. I once saw one embed a German 7.9 steel case a half inch into a pine tree.

Best to open it up, and try it, then if it doesn't work, close it down a bit at a time until it functions without sending other shooters at the range to the local ER.

Jim

Made in .30-06, et al too. Most of 'em were 8mm's though.
Never seen one in .308. Supposedly a modification by Argentina and a prototype for Brazil. If you ever see one in 7.62NATO, grab it, it'll be worth a fortune.

Supposedly there was only one original made by FN in 7.62 NATO, made after the rifle was otherwise out of production*. I don't know how many were converted to that caliber in Argentina, but they were advertised here at one time. IIRC, the conversion also included modifications to use a 20 round detachable magazine.

*If such a gun does exist, it probably was a one-off, using leftover parts, but as I have obviously never seen it, I don't know.

Jim

went shootin with a fellow that had one, in 7mm about 40 years ago. what struck me most about it then, was it was the LOUDEST rifle I had ever heard.

A long time has passed and I've shot a lot of things, including guns with bores measured in inches. Still, in its class, I think its still the loudest rifle I ever heard (including 18" .308 carbines). IF its not, its still very close...

A friend has a 7mm FN49 that is a good shooter... with factory or arsenal ammo. We could not develop a reliable reload. So he just bought a good supply of FN made "Cartuchos Ordinarios."

Back