FN quality and warranty?

ghbucky

My brother is interested in an FN 9mm. I have no experience with FN, but as far as I know they have a good rep.

Does anyone have any feedback on their handguns or their customer service?

I have the FNX tactical in .45 acp. The gun feels like plastic but it works flawlessly. This was a gift from my brother so I shoot it. I carry 1911's so the FNX feels like a toy gun. The company is a solid and reputable company, I would buy with confidence if I liked them.

FN is a major US military contractor with a long history of making great weapons like the Browning Hi Power and the FAL. Browning himself actually respected them enough to leave this country and go work for FN in Belgium. He died on the job at their factory. Definitely a top quality world-class weapons manufacturer.

My FN 509 is a fine pistol, obviously well made, and has functioned perfectly through hundreds of rounds at this point. Don’t know about their service. Haven’t needed it.

I just handled a 509, and I know striker fired aren't known for crisp triggers, but this was awful. Long, rough first stage, hard break, and a mushy reset.

Might have been just that gun, but ick.

I have three FN pistols.

All were purchased in the 2012-2013 time frame.

FNX 45, FNX 40 and a FNS 40.

The FNS was my first striker fired handgun.

Both 40 have 9mm barrels and 9mm magazines and 357 Sig barrels.

4-5000 rounds through each. the 40s have shot mostly 40 but lots of 357 Sig and 9mm.

Never a failure. The first shots from the 45 were with some sorry Ammo One ammo and it wouuld not fire.....all I could get at the time during the oweblamerliar ammo shortage..

I carry the FNS and the FNX 40s on a rotating basis and the FNX 40 has the 357 Sig barrel in it.........and that caliber is very accurate out of the FN guns.

I can not remember what the warranty is, but aI have neve had to use it.

I was saddened recently that FNH is discontinuing (or alrready has) the 40 caliber and 45 ACP. I was looking to get the FNS 40 Compact.....dadgum it. FNH is concentrating on the 9mm and I do not want a 9mm more than I what I already have..

Excellent weapons.

The grip angles just seem to really work for me.

I have a FNS9C that has been reliable and, accurate. It works with anything I feed it. Nice pistols.

Over a decade ago, FN had great customer service. I have owned numerous FN rifles. Great stuff...

But after they let 1 guy go in their customer service many years ago, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.... There are a lot of negative experiences at the FN Forum about FN customer service.... I've seen a lotta stories over the years.

I also called them about 4 or 5 years ago - they promised to send me a part under warranty. It never arrived.

And, I looked a while and finally found an old post of mine on another forum from 2 years ago...

This story was kinda disconcerting... Let me paste in that post...

I hate to post the exact same post on 2 separate threads - but I just responded to another FN thread - asking about the 509... I think my post applies here as well:

I love FN rifles. I have a PS90 , and previously owned two other PS90s and a FN SCAR 16.

However, after this thread, I would not buy an FN handgun: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24700-So-I-broke-my-FNS-9L

Granted, the thread is 24 pages, but worth reading in its entirety...

There seems to be an issue on the FNS series on what the lifespan of the gun is, and the maintenance schedule (which FN won't release). And, they denied a warranty repair because the guy didn't follow a schedule of having the gun checked every 2k rounds by FN. That is ridiculous.

As someone on that thread said:

Don't do that, and they can deny a warranty claim it seems. I don't know if this new Fn pistol is treated the same as the FNS series, but this is just pure ridiculous...

We have had a few threads about issues with strikers breaking on FNS and FN 509 pistols. More can be read online and there are some people on YouTube that have documented their problems. I believe Walt Sherril? here has more information on it as well. Apex Tactical has a replacement striker that is available if people are interested.

Yikes, Jagr... thanks for bringing that to my attention.

After reading through that I told him to move on.

No problem.

The 509 seems to be made better than the FNS. But, because of that guy's story and my prev experience with FN, and all the complaints I see about their customer service, I have passed it by....

The gun feels like plastic

Like so many others of its ilk, it feels like plastic because, well, much of it is. :) Some people are bothered by that but an awful lot of plastic pistols have proven themselves under very extreme conditions.
I prefer hammers on my handguns but of the striker-fired pistols in my experience (my brother has an FN and several friends own Glocks, Walthers, Springfields, et al), the FN handles and points naturally best for me.

I bought a FN and the barrel fell off and slide melted from the heat of the SMG ammo I was shooting.....just kidding there were so many good reports I felt the need for some bad stuff :). All of my FN pistols are HP’s and beautifully made.

Back