FN ps90- how good?

Snow Fox

ok I'm pretty comfortable with pistols but am looking to expand in a long arm.
now I'm a petit (5' 1") woman so the AK's M-16's popular with a lot of guys are not for me. I just feel overwhelmed.

A local gun shop I trust has the FN PS90 and I was wondering if people here had input. I saw about a year ago(see I can use the search feature) a gentlman here liked it and thought it was worth the cost. the biggest concern was the possibility of some anti-gun lobby making the ammo illegal.

The light wieght and bull pup design fits my hands more easily than bigger rifles and I will admit to having an liking ofr the odd ball look of the thing.

My biggest concern is loading the ammo in the mag as it turned sideways. I would think anything other than a straight feed addsto the potential for a screw up but no one else thinks it's an issue and seems to cite the quality of FN design.

So what, if anything do people think?

Last edited:
I would not discount the FS90, but the ammo is a little pricy and not as easy to get as a .223/5.56-- I would look at an M4gery or Steyer or even an FS2000--

By all means though, try them out and get what is best for you-- that is the only way to be sure...

The FS90 is a great gun BTW-- just the ammo throws me off..

Ms. Fox, I'm not a fan of the 5.7, but if it fits you and your needs, get it! :)

FWIW, the former MRS. liked a .357 lever gun that I shortened the stock on. That or an M1 Carbine may also suit you.

In any event, get as much ammo as you can for the 5.7 (or any gun for that matter) as it does seem hard to acquire at times (other than the current run on ammo). In fact, I'd check on ammo availability prior to buying the FN - would suck to have the rifle but no bullets. :)

The ammo runs 20-22 dollars a box of 50...all ammo is pricey right now, .223 remington is higher than that in commercial loads 28-32 dollars for 50 shots.

The most effective loadings come from Elite Ammunition( yes its made with virgin brass cases, not reloaded ones) FN SS196, SS197 factory loads are somewhat underloaded for the U.S. market by the way.

The magazines are no harder to load than any other, so don't worry about that.
They are indeed smaller than the typical civy M4 AR15 carbine, and not as loud, have very little muzzle flash...all things that would make it easy for a small statured person to use. If you get one DO NOT get the one white white
colored scope reticle( its hard to see under some conditions) get a PS90 USG model that has the BLACK reticle/ triduim night sight one.

20061005004zb3.jpg

@-flight954 (I have looked at the FS2000, It is a sexy beast, but a beast I cannot afford right now.)

@-Snow Fox-Yes, the 5.7 ammo is my only turn off. If I could get one in .22 magnum or 9mm I would. It isn't that I feel the 5.7 is a bad round, it's just that it is kinda expensive and quite rare where I live.

It seems to me that the length of pull on the ps90 is the same as any full size rifle. A vertically challenged person could benefit from the 6 position stock on a M4gery. However if the balance of the bull pup feels more stable to you...

Best thing to do: find a range that has one or a person at a range that has one and get some trigger time. That will help you decide.

Good luck! Have fun!

Last edited:
lol, thanks, the range where I go and where they sell these does archery and pistols but cannot do rifle fire, certainly not assault rifles with potentially AP rounds.(yeah I know, they only have the underpowered ones here.)
They do however know the guns and can talk at leangth about them and since I'm a regular let me hold them. thep lace has differnet M-16's for differnet prices- basic, collapsable stock, removable sights the same for differnet HK's and AK's but the FN just feels right in my hands.

Just to clarify, the PS90 is not an NFA weapon. You don't need to do anything special to buy one beyond what you would do for an AR15.

You may already know this, but the post is in the NFA Forum.

...but the FN just feels right in my hands.
Feeling right in your hands is a good start, but see if you can fire one also. Sometimes a gun feels good in your hands until you fire it.

If it fits & feels good in your hands, it's more than 1/2 way to being yours....I've been looking at one myself & think it might be a nice addition - good luck

I own a FN P90 and it is todate the sexiest SMG that I have ever shot esp @ full auto.

The downside is non-availability of 5.7 ammmo in our part of the world. Mine's been laying eggs trying to hatch in bullets - A futile effort indeed.

My guard once dropped it and the magazine got distorted jamming the weapon. I dont know if it's an inherent malfunction or just a one off thing but IT HAPPENED.

I own a PS-90 as well. For the use that I envision, it's just fine. I have it as a companion piece to my shotgun at home.

First, I will admit that the power of the 5.7mm is on par with a .22WRM shot from a full length rifle. I don't see that as being that much of a problem as 49 other rounds are just a trigger pull away and with the Very moderate recoil I have no fear that I'll be off target.

I've lent my PS-90 to several women to try out and they were, one and all, quite happy with it's ease of use and appreciated that they didn't have to worry about loading another magazine in as quickly as they might with a pistol or shotgun.

The one, real improvement that I've put on my PS-90 has been the REM-T3 Reticle Enhancement Module. If you have one of the newer 'black ring' sights on a PS then you have the best available from the factory. If you have one of the 'white ring' sights then you've probably noticed that it can wash out in bright light. The REM-T3 eliminates this by illuminating the reticle with a colored LED. I don't know how long the batteries would last but I suspect several hundred hours should it be left on by accident.

EDIT: my local 'shop is scraping the bottom of the barrel with .40 and 9mm availability....but they had thirty-two boxes of 5.7x28 on the shelves last Wednesday.

thanks guys. I'm pretty well sold on it, just need to amass the cash. probably by next month.
the one in the shop has the black sight so that's good. I'm assuming there's not 'scope' on that so what is the focus for the sight?

???? recoil and muzzle blast? excessive weight?Are you talking about a M1918 BAR? ZSU-23MM AA gun?(can't be talking about a P90/PS90 as they have LESS recoil than 9mm, and no more weight, very little flash and blast)

You can allways tell a person that hasnt shot one(but you cant tell them much):D

I have extensive trigger time on the Colt M16/9mm, and MP5's as well as the 5.7 weapons

Another put off is the $80 for a mag! I played with the P90 (short barrel version at Shot Show in 06) feels a little cramped. I would go with an AR15 carbine before the PS90. Just my .02.

80.00 a mag is just the scalping, er i mean capitalism that is waiting to readjust right now.

Lenth of pull is about average

20061014006pg4.jpg

The 5.7x28 gets a bad rap for being an anemic round--for example, the crush cavity, even at full yaw is smaller than a fully expanded 9mm JHP. As a result, it's not well served for civilian or LE use (imho).

However, the military P90 is full auto with 50 round capacity and an ultra compact design. Considering it was designed for tank crews, I think it definitely has it's niche.

Tank crews, aircrews, communications linemen, cooks, clerk typists, and anybody else that would find themselves in harms way that would have normally had to make do with a 9mm pistol, or 9mm smg.( folks that dont get a assault rifle)

Back