FN Israeli K98k

DoctorXring

I took these pics of one of my Israeli K98 rifles the other day
for another collector. I thought I would post them up here for
you guys. This is an Israeli K98 service rifle that was built
on an FN sourced action. Barrel date os 05-58. I do not believe
it was ever issued. Matching and in original condition.
Caliber 7.62x51 NATO. Armscorp import mark. Original Israeli
sling.

dxr

FNK98-1.jpg

FNK98-2.jpg

FNK98-3.jpg

FNK98-5.jpg

FNK98-6.jpg

FNK98-4.jpg

There seems to be some mystery about those rifles. Ball states that FN denies ever making them, yet there is little doubt they did. I suspect that FN, not wanting to harm its business in the Moslem world, simply did the old "plausible deniability" trick, as the U.S. did when it set up an ammunition factory in Israel (who, us?).

The rifle is not quite identical to the German K98k, but the differences are minor.

Many of those stocks also turned up on the market in the 1960's, and were often installed on German rifles, confusing collectors.

Jim

I've also heard the story that the Israeli's just bought the actions
on contract from FN and that the Israeli's put the rifles together
themselves. It is for sure that by the time this version came
about that they did have full K98 tooling and assembly fixtures.
The Israeli's had orginally planned to start producing their own
K98 rifles, but change to semi-auto arms as a service rifle
stopped this plan.
The tooling line was used to maintain the K98's that went to
training and reserve.

One thing that makes me think this is true is the bottom metal
on these FN action guns is often Czech or, as in the case of this gun,
WWII era German. But as you say, the final word on these
guns has been elusive.

I believe you have a keeper as most of the IDF type Mausers I have seen have some wear and tear on them. That thing looks super crisp in the photos. Maybe the actions went thru a middle man or not directly to the customer so to speak. Lot of Mausers floating around that have been thru several users. Anyway a sharp crisp example like that should be at the top of the demand and price range.

oh I want!!!

Man, I just found out that these things exist and I want one so bad!!!

I wonder what they would run in ok shape.... Any one know where I can get one? :D

V.

Hi guys.

No, that one's not for sale. I was stone lucky to come across it.
I would never pass one of these for any sane price.

best, dxr

There is an interesting (and true) story about those rifles. In the Egyptian War, front-line IDF troops had newly-issued FALs. With all the dirt and sand kicked up by the tanks, the FALs got clogged up and went bang. Once.

In the dark of night, literally, the IDF pulled the FALs back and issued the Mausers, which didn't care about sand or much of anything else. They then cleaned up the FALs and issued them to the reserves, telling the press that they now had so many of the new super rifles that they could issue them to reserve and rear area troops. (These are the folks who invented Chutzpah!)

Jim

I would guess that there was a lively market for surplus European and German guns after the war and if you had the money, the guns would arrive, no complicated official government channels, etc. maybe. Shady third party deals etc. I think the .308 barrels were installed in Israel and I think FN made those. They started with a mixture of old 8MM guns and later converted I think. I am sure the conversions and overhauls were done there if the original guns were only slightly altered to get them into service. Whatever, they are historical and neat rifles. I have owned a couple of them.

i had a chance to buy one several years ago a dot-45 post war assembled mauser from israel and later found a original bayonet, in used con. but with a ex bore. imported by armscorp. eastbank.

Attachments

• Picture 428.jpg
    Picture 428.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Picture 430.jpg
    Picture 430.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 98 bay.jpg
    98 bay.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 70
Back