FN Five-seveN pistol

Dac

Inactive
Is this pistol able to be purchased by a member of the public or a collector, if the appropriate forms are filled out? Or is it just available to LEO/military personnel?

The American Handgunner article on the pistol said it was only going to be sold to the Military and Police.

The BATF has determined that the 5.7mm bullet "serves no sporting purpose" and they will not let the 5.7mm ammo or any guns for it be imported.
I am just wondering: since when did a gun or bullet have to serve a sporting purpse before we could have it? Does the 2nd Amendment protect our "sporting" rights? Will they end up taking away all guns/ammo that are not for "sporting"?

RedBull, in answer to your question 'since when': since 1968. Ron Paul (R-Tx) tries to put an amendment on related bills that would remove that clause. It was the basis for the point system that does not allow the importation of the Walther TPH and PPK as well as other fine pistols, and was used to determine whether a 12ga shotgun was a destructive device or not.

Is it because the round is built as
a body armour penetrator?

Without that construction, it isn't that
impressive as a plain old FMJ or
even some kind of HP.

The gun will be available only to dealers/entities that can have Post-86 full auto waepons, like Class III dealers who "need" one as a demo/sample for their transactions with the military and Police Departments.

This discussion parralels the one about the .224 BOZ last year, the rounds are both being dealt with as Mil/LE only by the BATF.

Its a Hyped up POS I think.
The Raging Hornet as mentioned before, will do the job just fine... and you can buy ammo for it at the local shop instead of special ordering.
I think the 5-7 is about worthless. The round fired from a P-90 does what its supposed to do... simulate .223 performance.
Out of a 5-7 - it doesnt do that.
You want a pistol that can do that? Get a Patriot - or some other AR pistol. FN made a mistake on this one.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

The Jan. 00 issue of The American Rifleman has a letter in it by Dr. Fackler that succinctly points out the shortcommings of FN's 5.7 round.

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited December 29, 1999).]

Back