Fn action serial number?

While many manufactures used serial numbers on their firearms, they were not Federally mandated for firearms made or imported into the U.S. until 1968.

There are a few places you should look for a serial number:
* On the side of the front receiver ring.
* On the front tang of the magazine.
* Left side of the rear receiver ring.
* If the gun was made before 1968, on the barrel.

Of course, if it was once a military action, it has probably been ground off along with the crest on the front ring.

FN ACTION

Ok im told this was a pre mark v weatherby. Barreled in 264 win mag with the stamp on the barrel (red key). I cant find anything anywhere about red key. Everything ive researched comes up with it being a pre mark v

Attachments

• REAR ACTION.jpg
    REAR ACTION.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 62
  • ACTION.jpg
    ACTION.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 59
  • BURM MAPLE STOCK.jpg
    BURM MAPLE STOCK.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 58
I own a rifle built on the same action; mine is a 30.06. The serial number is 4 digits & is on the underside of the receiver. The proof marks are on the front ring of the receiver.

No, only if you suspect it was made after 1968 and brought illegally into the country (like if the proof mark has a post-1968 date stamp). Just post pictures of the proof marks to make sure ;).

That is one seriously beautiful piece of wood on that rifle! (And this is from a guy who does stock work for a living!) Talk about figure! Wow! Walnut with 100% crotch figure costs a pretty penny these days.

FWIW, I am not sure it is a pre-Mark V Weatherby, although it sure looks like one. They were marked very well, both on the receiver and the barrel. If so it would have German proofs, as the pre-Mark V Weatherbys were made by Sauer. It could be a copy of a Weatherby, though, and it is very well done! Very nice rifle! My guess would be that it is a custom build.

From what i have found out so far it is a pre mark v there is german or some other language markings on it (cant read it). I can make out the fn emblem clearly. My concern was the red key stamped along side the 264 win mag. Like it was one stamp

red key 264 win mag is exactly how it is stamped! I will try to get a pic up close of it and get on here.

i have a number six fn single shot action that has no serial numbers,only,fn proof marks and made in belgium. its a pre-68 import. eastbank.

Last edited:
Back