FN-49 - opinions ?

Zak Smith

A local gun shop has a couple FN-49's in 8x57. These particular rifles were stamped Fabrique Nationale, but I didn't think to look for any other information at the time.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good?

The price was around $500, but that store's prices are generally high anyway.

thanks
-z

8mm FN49s are the Egytian contract guns. I have one and it's a great rifle. $500 seems a bit steep. Venezualan 7mm's in almost new condition sell for about that, and the Egytian guns are usually a little worn. If you can get one for between $300-$400, I'd go for it. Like most of the battle rifles of this time period they're drying up rather quickly.

There was an article in a recent issue of The Shotgun News about the FN-49. It said that all FN-49s were made by FN, regardless of their end destination. They further stated that the vast majority were chambered in 30.06 with 8mm Mauser a distant second.

This was pilfered from rec.guns:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>HISTORY

In the 1930's during the height of a world wide demand for new military self loading rifle designs, Dieudonne J. Saive began work on the FN-49 for Fabrique Nationale. Production of this promising new rifle design was delayed when Saive fled for England just before Nazi troops began the German occupation of Belgium during World War II. While Saive lived in England, he continued work on his FN-49 and other firearm designs, at the Royal Arsenal at Enfield Lock. It is believed that he built a prototype of the FN-49 chambering the 8mm Mauser cartridge while in England and tried to interest the British in adopting the FN-49 design. At that time the British showed little interest in semi-automatic rifles. They favored instead their bolt action Enfield rifles feeling them superior to just about any other rifle design. It was also felt by the British that semi-automatic rifles placed in the hands of their troops would lead wasted ammunition.

After the Allied liberation of Belgium, Saive returned to the Fabrique Nationale firm in Belgium to finish the FN-49 design work and see that it was placed into full production.

The FN-49 was manufactured using high quality machining and milling techniques, and was designed in such a way that made it difficult to produce in a low cost fashion. In the high competition world of modern military assault weapon sales, inexpensive manufacturing techniques are required to keep production costs at a minimum. Very few low-priced sheet metal stampings will be found on the FN-49 rifle. When the FN-49 was first introduced for sale on the world's arms market, bolt action rifles were the norm and competition against other semi-automatic rifles was relatively scarce. For a few short years, the FN-49 enjoyed good sales to a variety of countries despite its cost.

Unfortunately, the FN-49 could not be sold competitively when the military semi-automatic rifle sales competition finally did start to heat up. The obsolete manufacturing techniques that gave it superior quality and strength also doomed it to collector status by the 1950's. It has been suggested by several sources, that to build the FN-49 today using the original manufacturing techniques, it would cost many thousands of dollars. Its high selling cost added to its lack of certain modern "in demand" features required of current military shoulder weapons (such as a true detachable magazine and high ammunition capacity) led Saive to assist Fabrique Nationale in exploring a new, overhauled, more modern battle rifle. The FN-FAL rifle series of was born out of this re-design project. The FN-FAL rifle shares many of the innovative design features first implemented in the FN-49 rifle, such as a tipping bolt. The FN-49 is in a sense the father to the famed FN-FAL rifle.[/quote]

There is also a notable table that lists the distribution of FN-49s by country and caliber. Follow the link:

http://www.recguns.com/IIID2b616.html

I saw one for $450 here and passed it up. The many on-line sources here suggest that it is a very good rifle but also relatively complex and, with mostly corrosive surplus 8mm, would be hard to maintain. Parts supply is a problem, too. Would be a nice plinkers or hunting rifle but I'd pass on it as a defense weapon.

It's a fun gun to own and shoot, but for serious use I'd rather have its near relative the FAL.

Actually, the FN49 is pretty simple. It's grossly overengineered and parts breakage isn't really a problem. Most parts are easily available through SARCO and Gunpartscorp.

Corrosive ammo isn't really all that large an issue either. You just have to clean the thing after you shoot it. Any cleaner that can handle black powder residue can handle corrosive priming residue. WW2 vintage GI bore cleaner works fine (nasty stuff, but it works). My FN49 is very fond of Slovenian 8mm. It's about $110/M and shoots into 2" at 100yds.

Everyone should have an FN49. The gun is a absolute blast to shoot. I'm still seriously contemplating getting a 7mm, even with the ammo issue with that caliber.

How hard is it to mount optics on a FN-49? -- preferrably in the forward "scout rifle" position to aid loading.

I am not particularly concerned about 8mm ammo availability, because I'll most likely reload for it. If possible, I'd get the .30-06 version.

thanks
Zak

[This message has been edited by smithz (edited March 13, 2000).]

Short note.

No matter what it looks like in pictures, the FN 49 does not have a detachable magazine. The box can be removed, but the feed lips are in the receiver, so mags can't be loaded off the gun. Normal loading is by single round or clips. Mauser or Springfield clips can be used in the Belgian .30-'06 rifles, Mauser clips in the others.

Jim

Jim - I know; it's for that reason I'd be interested in mounting the scope in a forward position, so that a stripper clip could be used.

-z

Jim, didn't the Venezuelan 7.62x51 conversion accept true detachable box magazines?

One reason for a FN-49 in CA is they are not considered assault weapons.

I don't think they are that high for a primo speciman. I think the price on these weapons will continue to climb. I could not hazard a guess of what it would cost to manufacture one of these gems today. Regards, Richard.

I'm sorry, but the FN 49 is both a curio and relic and an assault rifle per the BATF under the 1994 Omnibus Crime Bill. It is:

a) a semiautomatic rifle

and

b) has a detachable magazine

plus in addition it has a threaded barrell and a bayonet lug.

Go to:
http://walnut.tmcom.com/~jlandry/firearms/FN49.html

Section V explains that BATF considers a magazine that can be removed without tools as a detachable magazine even if it disassembles itself and won't hold ammo unassembled to the gun. It sounds like the ATF we know and love, doesn't it?

BTW - I got a Venezualan mint 7x57. Later a 8x57 Egyptian. The 8 I traded off. It was in perfectly reasonable condition and nothing wrong with it, but the 7 was gorgeous.

Back