FN 1910 - Nickel????

mick11199

Inactive
Howdy from Australia,

I recently purchased an FN 1910 (the manual says Model 10). I have posted this request for info on other forums but without a lot of success :(

It is in near perfect condition but a little dirty. It has an original brown and cream bakelite box stamped with the FN logo. There is an original manual and cleaning rod.

The pistol seems to be nickel or chrome plated. I am pretty sure it is a commercial issue pistol. It does not seem to be refinished. All of the profiles are nice and sharp as is the perfect stamping. the frame looks darker in my dodgy photos but it seems to be just dirty. The photos do not do it justice..it is in VERY nice condition. It has black plastic grips with the FN logo. They are in perfect condition. It also has 3 holes in the trigger?

I bought it for $150 which is a good deal in anyones language but I need some more info if any one can help me please?

Firstly, i need to date it...the box, manual, etc should give a clue and the serial which is 512728.

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone could give any info about factory nickel or chrome 1910s (Model 10s)

Thirdly, is the trigger original?

Thanks for any help you can give

Mike

Last edited:
It would be nice if you could show a close up photo to check the plating. Holes in the trigger doesn't seem right.

Here is a closer look. This was only taken with my phone...I will not actually have the gun in my posession for about a month (Australian Gun Laws!). I will take better pics then.

If this is an aftermarket nickel job it is VERY good....the lettering is sharp as a tack even though it looks a little worn/buffed in the photo I can assure you it is still deel and sharp. The dodgy resolution of my camera and flash did not help!

Cheers

It looks like someone drilled those holes in the trigger. I don't know that they ever offered that model in nickel finish either. What does the gun look like under the grips and inside the frame? It may just be the lighting in the picture but that almost looks like someone has polished off the blueing rather than nickel. If you could get a picture in some natural light that would help a lot and some pics of inside the frame would be great too. At a minimum I would say someone mucked about with the trigger, hard to say about the finish without being able to hold it in hand.

The trigger is definitely not original (as far as I know). The FN 1910s were offered in nickel finish (as were the "Browning" marked guns as well).

The "Brownings" and FNs were all in the same serial number sequence. Your SN of 512728 puts it at 1965.

For $150.00, you got a steal!

* I just noticed that you are in Oz. The 1910s sold in North America (U.S. and Canada) were all marked "Browning Arms Company," per trade agreement with FN. Same gun, different roll stamp

Last edited:
It doesn't look to me like it is plated, but rather like someone polished off the blue. It is the Model 1910. After WWII, Browning renamed it the Model 10 so the buyer wouldn't think he was getting a 50 year-old pistol. Many companies found out when they used a year as a model number, it was fine for a year or so, but eventually, it dated the gun and made it seem old fashioned. So the Winchester Model 1894 became just the Model 94.

Lightened triggers are commonly used in target guns with light trigger pulls to prevent the hammer from dropping due to trigger "bounce" when the slide is released. That trigger in that gun could be nothing more than someone's wanting a certain "look", but I would check the sear and hammer closely in case someone fooled with them trying to make it a target pistol and possibly just made it a dangerous pistol.

Jim

Back