FMJ for Birds/Varmints?

kirbymagnum

1. Will a .223 55 grain fmj expand at all and make a clean kill on crows?
2. If i have two bullets and i find the zero of both and i remember how many clicks i have to adjust the scope for the two different bullets to be zeroed at will this be a good consistent way of switching between two bullets?

Sure, with headshots and probably body shots.

Sure, if your scope is reliably repeatable. <<Most>> <<quality>> scopes with "click" adjustments are. Friction adjusted ones should be avoided for your purpose.

A BB gun Don't expand and kills small birds so I would think a .223 passing thru a crow would make him dead! A .223 is about 10% the size of a crows body.
so that would be like a 12 gauge slug going thru a human body without expansion??

And yes with a good repeatable scope. probley not with a BSA

The:) 5.56x45 FED xm193 or Win Q3131a will work on crows and varmints, both the 2 and 4 leg variety .these rounds fragment nicely .

1. Will a .223 55 grain fmj expand at all and make a clean kill on crows?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Define what you mean by clean kill? If you mean will it completely kill it dead, instantly, then yes, and it doesn't matter what type of .223, and it also doesn't matter whether or not it expands. If you mean "clean" meaning not explode it into many small parts, then no, it won't be clean. ANY .223 hitting a crow is going to essentially make it explode, even an FMJ round. I've killed crows with a .177 pellet doing 900-950 fps; they were immediately hobbled, and a second pellet put them down for good.

2. If i have two bullets and i find the zero of both and i remember how many clicks i have to adjust the scope for the two different bullets to be zeroed at will this be a good consistent way of switching between two bullets?

Yep, if it's a quality scope, that should work.

Do you think a Sightron SII 4-16x42 or Sightron SII 6-24x42 are of high enough quality?

Yes, most likely. Never had an SII yet, but all reviews are quite positive. Post results when you kill a crow. :)

Thanks for all the info.:) And what i meant by clean was that it would die instantly the exploding effect is a bonus i didn't think the FMJ would do that.:D I shot one crow with my 22lr at 75 yrds.:) I was almost as happy as when i shot my first deer.

Back