Flying out of an airport in DC with a handgun

C Philip

I will be flying out of an airport in DC to a state where my CCW permit is honored, so I want to bring my handgun. I already know the airport regulations for checking in a firearm. What I am unsure of is what I need to do to legally transport my handgun to the airport, since it is in DC. I won't be staying in DC for any period of time, just going straight to the airport from my home state.

Oh, thank you for that clarification. I am flying out of Reagan. The address of the airport says DC, so I was concerned.

Am I then correct in that even if I drive through DC to get to the airport, I can take my gun as long as I do not stop in DC?

Where are you coming from? The quickest way to nation would be off the beltway to 395 and dulles would be the toll road. So unless you are starting in DC you shouldn't need to enter DC. And I would not bring any gun into DC. Just a bad idea all around.

Wasn't FOPA-86 supposed to protect interstate travellers with firearms in their posession, moving directly and quickly from point a to point b?

My understanding is you can drive from Montana to Florida, going through Chicago and DC on the way via major arteries, and not have any trouble. Driving from your home to a VA airport shouldn't be an issue. But, IANAL.

My understanding is that FOPA-86 may not be well respected by gendarmes in some people's republics (read time and money needed to get it right) therefore, I choose not to tempt fate in those jurisdictions.

If for some reason there is a legal compelling need to exercise my rights falling back on the protection of FOPA-86 it makes sense to be extra cautious.

D.C., I would drive around. Think of it as an hour of full contact motorsports with several hundred thousand of your closest friends. N.J., only as a last resort and the need would have to be really pressing.

In either case a safety inspection of your vehicle and making sure your papers are in order for the people's representatives is a great idea.

Reagan National Airport is a river away from Washington, DC in Arlington, Virginia (just like the Pentagon).

DO NOT bring a handgun into DC.
FOPA or not.
A single round of ammunition will get you prosecuted.

Wasn't FOPA-86 supposed to protect interstate travellers with firearms in their posession, moving directly and quickly from point a to point b?

The official answer... yes.
The real world answer....hah, you kiddin' me?

Places I know that they don't give a damn about FOPA... DC, NJ, NYC, and Broome County in NY (may be others, I just know what Broome is like).

Back