Flying Antelope

Barnacle Brad

I had an experience yesterday scouting antelope that I will not soon forget!

Pronghorn hunters have come to expect some predictably unpredictable, even bizarre fence line behavior when a herd is pushed. I have seen them run full bore at a fence only to have them stop and mill smartly about before a lead doe or nervous yearling finally makes the leap. Sometimes they will run for the only opening in the fence even if it means nearly running you over! Once we witnessed the unthinkable belly crawl under a barbed wire fence. Hilarious!

Yesterdays scouting trip had been exciting for the most part. We saw several wads of goats out in the alfalfa fields - one group filing past us across a two track with no apparent alarm. I was content to sit an watch the buck among them, judging his horns. Moving up the road there lay two more little bucks on the side of the road. One other buck was a little further off the road and hard to judge in the mirage of the afternoon sun.

Eventually we made our way to the highway and continued on to another area where we spotted a few goats out in the beat fields. Just does, so I continued in their direction pooping along watching. Pretty quick another head popped out of the beats well behind the original does we spotted, who had already decided we were a deadly threat and were crossing the road ahead of us. Soon enough the doe lagging behind was in fear for her life and bolted for the road. She was reaching mach speed but so was I. We were on a collision course in a game of chicken!

I can't really say what my expectations were as our paths closed, but I was totally surprised with the complete gracefulness in which that doe cleared the top strand of wire - by two feet! There was no hesitation, no lack of courage, just total commitment to that fence. She never missed a beat, hitting the ground and continuing up the hill and away. Oh did I mention she was running up hill when she launched across that fence?

That one, friends, is burned, maybe even seared into my memory! Thanks for letting me share...

Sure that will be one for the memory bank.

Of all the Antelope I've hunted, rarely have seen them jump fences....nearly always go under, even when on a dead run.

Whitetails on the other hand rarely go under......nearly always jump over. Have some pics of a couple sneaking under a barbed wire fence crawling on their bellies.

Whitetails go through a barbed wire fence also. A friend pointed out a tuft of fur on a barb- the strands were 12" apart !! There was good stuff on the other side !

But antelope hunters ,does anyone have MEASURED speeds of these things ?? My limited experience with antelope gave me one measurement .Driving along we were met by an antelope who paced us for some time then got bored and left us in the dust. According to our speedometer he paced at measured 55 mph then to an assumed 70 ! :eek:
Book data varies greatly !

Yeah, my WT often go under or through the fence, at least the does and fawns. Bucks with antlers are more often forced to jump over or risk getting snagged.

My father's first antelope hunt, he held on a running antelope the same as he usually did on a running deer. "The darn bullet landed behind him!" :D

Antelope are strange critters. I come out to Wyoming every few years and hunt and during my trips I've seen them crawl under fences as well as jump over them. I was shocked the first time I saw them jump a fence.

The coolest thing I've seen though is a race we got into with nice buck. My buddy and I had already filled our tags and were just out killing time and stopped to glass a nice buck about 75 feet from the road. After a bit, he tired of us and he started off at a trot in the same direction we were going. He had a head start so we caught up to him and as we did, he turned on the jets and took off, still running parallel to the road. We caught up and passed him and then he hit the afterburners and ran along side us. Every time he caught us, we cranked up the speed. 30, 40, 45, 50 mph and he looked like it he was just out for a jog. The way he was flying over the ground was amazing and he never left that parallel course he was on. Anyway, we finally ran out of road bed before he could see how fast he could go but there is no doubt in my mind the guy was racing us.

The grace he displayed running at 50 mph over the rough ground is something I will never forget.

For a long time, antelope were noted for not jumping over fences. Then, maybe thirty or so years back, one of the outdoor mags had an article noting that some had been seen jumping fences. This was generally agreed to by others as new behavior. Wyoming, IIRC.

I have almost no experience with pronghorn. But the one I do have is when I was riding in SD about 5 years ago.
I pulled into an wayside and spooked about 5-6 pronghorn from a small dip along the road. They didn't immediately bolt, just bounded a few yards and observed me. But when I stepped off the bike, they took off.
I was amazed at the acceleration they possess. I've seen whitetail take off, but these guys had wheels!

But I think the thing that struck me the most is the way they turned....all in the same instant.

When whitetail spook, they tend to scatter in different directions. But these pronghorns were like they were in lock-step. It was like watching a flock of small birds.

Back