Fluting Remington 700 bolt

Blacksun

Inactive
I have a Remington 700 PSS in .308 action has been completely blue printed and reworked by Iron Brigade Armory Chassis is an HS precision with length of pull and cheek rise. Barrel is Hart. This is my question with all the work I have had done without getting in to the most minor details, leave it to say everything has been done. Can I flute the bolt without messing up all the work I have had done to the action. I am aware you never have anyone but the barrel maker flute the barrel so should I have had this done when IBA was doing all the work to the action?? Thank you in advance.

Had my barrel fluted by heart but have been so concerned about all the money spent at iron brigade just to mess it up. Do I need to send my whole rifle for reprinting or just the bolt?

Hart barrels are button rifled. Several folks have them fluted and it's common if they are less accurate afterwards.

Cut rifled barrels suffer the least when fluted.

Why do you want the bolt fluted?

Bart,
I had never messed around with fluting before, was kind of raised to believe the "advantages " were BS. I talked to Hart extensively before buying this barrel about the advantages / disadvantages, I have many precision Sniper rifles so I decided to go ahead and do it. So far I have found no disadvantage nor have I found an advantage. This rifle shoots just as tight as any other I have.

Now on to the fluting of the bolt we had a guy out to the range this week who had a fluted bolt. Nothing new there are guys all the time showing up with different configurations. Difference was he was having considerable trouble and so I fired his weapon several times to see if it was him or his rifle. While working the action I did notice the bolt was " smoother and lighter" as everyone who does it claims they are. Not to a degree of OH MY GOD I HAVE TO OWN THIS! But there was a difference. I am the first to admit I do not compete, though we do shoot for time while training. I was raised pretty old school "just because it looks tacticool, doesn't mean a thing" if it contributes to the rifles ability then in the end it will contribute to the shooters ability there for it's necessary.

I by no means am going to be heart broken if this is a bad idea. I am just in unfamiliar territory and have spent a solid amount of money getting this rifle to its full potential. I don't want to do anything to it that would take away from where it's at or in essence bring it back to square one for something I can live without.

Raw opinion,no authority:

Barrels and bolts are very different.

Without getting to longwinded,no machining cutter is perfectly sharp.There is some clean cutting,but some beating,pounding and displacement of metal as a cut is made.And,just as when a blacksmith reshapes metal over an anvil,the metal is reshaped.This may only influence a thin skin of metal remaining under the cut,but still,that skin has stored stress.

IMO,the staging of the operations in barrelmaking can be used to advantage or disadvantage.I like it that a cut rifled barrel can be bored,lapped,contoured,if chosen,fluted, then stress relieved,perhaps cryo'd,before rifling.Once stress relieved,only the gentle process of cutting the rifling and finish lapping remain.

IMO,that may help in the dynamics of firing.

So,IMO,I would approach any machining on a barrel after the barrelmaker has final lapped the bore with reluctance and an acceptance of risk.

Fluting a bolt body,IMO,does not carry the same considerations regarding harmonics and stress.If your machinist is skilled and competent I cannot forsee any problems.

IMO,What are the motives to flute a bolt? Generally cutting weight on an aircraft,race motorcycle,or backpack is done a gram or two at a time,everyplace you can..So,a cumulative effort in weight reduction might be a reason.And,in close fit working assemblies,providing a low spot where contaminants can get out of the way..:"sand traps" can be an advantage.So,in theory,some stroke smoothness or dependability may be an advantage.

But,IMO,the main reason behind it is selling rifles.Its aesthetics more than anything.A look.Eyecatching. High heels,earrings,etc.Bait.Chrome wheels.

If you are into it,have fun!

Me,I am not excited by fluted bolts.

Good post HiBc. One of my classmates fluted his Rem 700 bolt. I'm not sure why as the only advantage is weight reduction and cosmetic.

I know the AI Arctic Warfare bolt has either slots, or fluting (not sure which, but same end result) which are designed to help prevent freezing/sticking of the bolt in sub-zero temps and inclement weather. Less surface area contact, and it makes sense that the slots would also aid in shedding any debris or foreign matter that makes it's way into the action.

If I used a rifle in those types of conditions, I think there would be that practical benefit to fluting. Otherwise, cosmetics...:D

I thought the key to keeping bolts from sticking in arctic warfare was to keep them oil and grease free. The Germans learned this after their first campaign in Russia. Still, there might be some validity to that theory. Without testing, I dunno.

I do not understand the logic of fluting a barrel to get a rifle up to its full potential. Rifles have different potentials for different objectives in their use. What one applies to yours?

What's the main objective of putting a lot of money into yours?

How accurate are your "precision sniper" rifles over a 15 to 20 shot string?

Is their primary use to kill people? You're calling them such.

Last edited:
Back