Fluted barrel vs. Non-fluted on the new Rem700 PSS?

thaddeus

Having investigated the Rem 700 PSS .308, I see that the new ones offer a fluted barrel as an option. I understand basically that a fluted barrel saves weight and that is about it. What are any other benefits? What are the drawbacks (no free lunch).
They both cost about $675 with either barrel, so I need to decide which is the way to go.

Also, I can get either the new ones or the old version of the Rem PSS .308 Police sniper, so does anyone know if the old ones or new ones are better?
thanks,
thaddeus

So it is lighter and dissapates heat better. Those are the pros.
I have learned that nothing comes for free, so what are the cons?

thanks,
thaddeus

The flutes also give the barrel more torsional rigidity...and they also look cool. I has C&S Metall Werkes flute my barrel and add a nifty muzzle break to my PSS. I am quite pleased with the outcome. Oh yeah, did I mention that it looks cool?

Hey, those fluted barrels look cool, btw.

And they are lighter, which could be an advantage.

I don't know what the disadvantage of a fluted barrel would be.

I've like the looks of the flutes, but also wonder what I'm loosing (no free lunch). They should cost more because of the extra work. If they cost the same, then they're being discounted because they don't sell or the un-fluted barrels are over priced.

I read once that sometimes the bore in the fluted zone runs a larger dimension than at either end.

I also read that someone reported less copper fouling in the fluted zone.

How much are they used in competition?

Take care, have fun.... Roger_Dailey@hotmail.com

I think Kenny Jarrett said that fluting helps if it is done correctly..that is...before the rifling is done on the bore.

If fluting is done afterwards, there is a risk of inconsistencies in the bore resulting from the flute machining. This probably affects accuracy IMHO.

Now the big question is...who does it right??
I don't know. I'd talk to some precision riflesmiths and shooters as well as the company before I sunk any money into a factory fluting job.

Might want to call Kenny Jarrett's shop. They have a web site somewhere.

You guys know who Kenny Jarrett is?

Edmund

Back