flush threaded barrel

simonrichter

I need some help conderning the correct term for a semiauto pistol barrel that is flush with the slide frnt (like any other standard barrel), but has a thread for attaching a suppressor when some kind of a bridging device is used. I have seen that on some semiauto marketed only recently, but can't find it anymore and I'm lost which term to google...

The barrel is threaded, but the the thread protector interfaces with the barrel bushing until a coupler replaces the thread protector? The coupler being female (threaded whatever the barrel is threaded) to male (whatever the suppressor is threaded)?

It’s an interesting idea to me because that would make the barrel to bushing fit easy to tighten up although the threading adds yet another tolerance to stack and part to shake loose.

For all the barrels I’ve seen threaded, I have yet to see a suppressed pistol at the range. I think it’s like putting a NOS sticker on your Toyota. Since I’m in a cranky mood, I will suggest that someone could make money by making a barrel bushing that has a fake .45 cal suppressor tacked on the end since 99.9 % of people will never get a can anyhow and 9mm would scoot right through.

I think the correct term is length of barrel and thread specifications. E.g., “5” .578x28 threaded barrel”

Last edited:
I think the correct term is length of barrel and thread specifications. E.g., “5” .578x28 threaded barrel”

I believe this would be the correct way to do it. I do not know of any special term used for what you describe.

I would expect it to be "barrel (length), threaded (thread size), caliber...." and part number/stock number if it were on a parts list

The S&W M&P compact 22LR is sold in that variant and also with the connector thingy - maybe search for videos on this model to see what it is called.

https://youtu.be/oEE4Ad2Q7d8

It costs less for the model that doesn’t include the adaptor. S&W built both models with a barrel that could use an adaptor (had I known I would have bought the lower cost model and added the suppressor adaptor later). PS my suppressor runs excellently on the M&P 22 w any ammo.

Last edited:
I'm confused. I don't understand .
I can comprehend a threaded barrel that extends beyond the slide to screw a suppressor onto.

Most semi-autos have some diameter at the front of the slide the barrel passes through. Example is a barrel bushing on a 1911.

With a 1911,it supports the barrel. On some guns,its just a clearance hole at the end of the slide. Are you looking for that hole to be big enough to accept a threaded sleeve protruding from the suppressor ? One that reaches through the end of the slide to thread onto a barrel with threads?

Hmmm.

I'd suggest getting a drop in extended threade barrel to install when you want to use your suppressor.

I wonder if you may have seen a video of someone changing a compensator on a 1911 race gun.

In that case,the barrel bushing is eliminated. The OD of the barrel is threaded to accept a tapered portion of the compensator that fits the open front of the slide. Those are typically a semi-permanent assembly,with loctite.

The comp is not conveniently removed,and the gun won't run without the comp in place.

Might you have mistaken a compensator for a suppressor?

Here is my guess:
Imagine that the “lump” at the end of the 1911 was taken off with a lathe and the barrel threaded.
Next, a “thread protector” is made such that when installed it interacts with the bushing exactly as the lump at the end of the barrel.

Should one want the install a silencer, an extended thread suppressor is made to simulate a normal threaded barrel and the silencer is threaded on that.

I have not seen such a thing and my extreme prejudices are:
1. A manufacturer would only do this if it was somehow cheaper than a longer threaded barrel
Or
2. Such an arrangement allows a product to be sold over more markets without submitting multiple variations for review.

But mostly

Someone thinks they can make money through marketing or manufacture of an inferior method of solving a problem, with the understanding that practically none of the customers will in fact install a silencer despite their fantasy of one day doing so.

Some pistols don’t rely on a slide bushing to support the barrel end, in that case why not? Perhaps because the little thread protector protruding is a “status symbol” that persuades some to pay extra for a quarter inch extra of pipe, a bit of threading and a nut.

It’s doubtful that adjusting the bulb at the end of the barrel is a better way to get excellent fit rather than adjusting the bushing as no competitors do this but that’s not to say it may not be a breakthrough. I just don’t see that as a selling point.

Hmmm.Most sidearms are built with some attention to saving a few ounces.

The barrels I'm used to have a relatively thin wall section.

Unless we want to go with a fat bull barrel,by the time we do this turning down and threading,the steel will be pretty thin.

Now it has to hold up the weight and leverage of a suppressor .

I may not understand quite what is being asked.

I could see something like threading the barrel for a bushingless comp cone,just instead of the comp would be a threaded barrel extension...but it seems a lot easier to buy a barrel set up for a suppressor.

Maybe the idea is to be able to carry a gun that,from a distance,does not look like a pistol you could screw a suppressor on.

I don't know. I'll step back

I think I understand what the OP is asking about. The barrel of the pistol is flush with the end of the slide but the end section is reduced in diameter and threaded. A thread protector with the same outside diameter as the rest of the barrel is used. When one wants to attach a suppressor or other muzzle device, a thread adapter is used which has threads extending past the end of the slide for the muzzle device to screw onto.

The whole point of this arrangement is to be able to use muzzle devices without the need for an extended barrel when muzzle devices are not in use. The current production Walther PPK/S in .22 LR uses such an arrangement. I suspect this is mainly practical on .22's as they often have relatively thick barrels and thus reducing the diameter of the end section still allows for adequate thickness.

PPK is a blowback design with a fixed barrel. The slide does not even touch the barrel at the muzzle.

I reckon that people would pay EXTRA for the thread protector poking out. It shows how TactiCool they are. Like owning a Ferrari shirt. All you need to do is get around to buying that Ferrari. On the guy's to-do list.

a suppressed PPK would be interesting... but the sights are going to be a bit of an issue. I expect one gets a sight picture full of "can".

Back