Flush mounted sling swivels

Alex

I'm sporterizing a military Mauser and have read Jeff Cooper's great praise of flush mounted quick-release sling swivels. I see that Brownell's has some, but it appears that it need a special drill bit, etc. I'm wondering - is it worth it for a low-budget spoter, or should I just go with Uncle Mike's?

We use them when customers insist but I have seen enough bent scopes come in where the swivel let go and the rifle landed on the scope to make me sure I didn't want one on my rifle.

We use them when customers insist but I have seen enough bent scopes come in where the swivel let go and the rifle landed on the scope to make me sure I didn't want one on my rifle.

I'd say give them a try. They are about $20, right? A sporterized military mauser is a good basis for experimentation...

You need a 7/16" "Brad point" drill bit also known as a Forester bit. It drills a flat bottomed hole and can be found at Home Depot. Not expensive. If not, a sharp 7/16" standard drill bit might leave a little room at the bottom for some strong epoxy if you can get some in there without messing up the springs...

Good luck, tell us how it works out...

Back