florida law? loaded in car with ccw?

marino13

can it be readily accessible next to you--took my ccw class in dec--need to know the exact law before that happens--any day,i will be getting the 4 inch ss gs 100 ruger 357--factory grips gotta go!

florida laws-ccw

not too sure about them--instructor very fast talker--could have been an auctioneer--not the only one in the class that was confused sometimes--better safe than sorry--know what i mean?----and thats why i joined this site because i can get info from you guys

Even in the car, you need to conceal it. Either on your body or in a case, or in a compartment. If you're gonna shoot .357's in your car, better practice putting in earplugs, loading it with 38's, or buying a hearing aid :eek:
When I car carry, I use a hip holster and a cover garment. Pocket carry is too difficult to draw while sitting. Also a shorter barrel wouldn't be bad idea. Something that wouldn't hit the steering wheel etc. ;)

Florida law says you may carry a loaded handgun in the glove box provided it is in a snapped holster. You don't need a permit to do this and you don't even need to be a resident either.
Provided you can legally own a gun in the first place

Last edited:
WITH a CCW, you can have it anywhere in the car you want, as long as it is not visible to outsiders. WITHOUT a CCW, it must be "securely encased," the definition of which is a little murky. Generally, in a holster and/or gun case and stuck in the glove box will suffice for most LEOs.

kinda defeats the purpose of a ccw if you can't have it loaded... might as well throw rocks. Then again, you can't really apply reason, logic or common sense to most firearms laws... :)

I have a CCW in GA, with reciprocity in FL and have reviewed their laws. I'm in agreement with the above... but I recommend looking up the laws yourself. I also recommend handing your CCW license to the police officer BEFORE he finds the weapon himself (should you be asked to exit your vehicle).

I have a CCW in GA, with reciprocity in FL and have reviewed their laws.

In GA, you can leave the loaded handgun in plain view, as well as in a compartment, without a firearms license. With the firearms license, you can keep the handgun anywhere in the vehicle. I wouldn't hand a cop my firearms license at a routine traffic stop.

Back