Florida hunters

nocturn

Inactive
Hey all, im new here and had a Question,
I just picked up a marlin 1894p (44mag) for hog hunting in FL.:D , Ive never been before and was wondering about ammo capacity while hunting on WMA's. I didnt find anything in the rule book except a 5 round limit for semi auto's, do I need to find a mag plug for my lever gun? if so where do I find one?
Also I have a ruger redhawk (44mag) companion side arm, am I legal to bring that along?
Thanks in advance..

Check the individual WMA you plan on hunting. Some have different regs. One of the places I hunt is shotgun/archery only. Management area hogs can be hard to hunt. Plan on walking alot and carring a lot of water in your pack.

No need to plug your lever gun...........the 5 round rule only applies to magazine capacity(magazines)........I would however only use the 44Mag in real close situation...........at 100 yards your gonna have HUGE bullet drop and massive lose of velocity, so unless you really know your gun and the rounds your shootin, I'd jump up to a rifle caliber...45-70 good choice!

no worrys with either your choice of load or the number in your Marlin. I use the .44 Mag Marlin 1894 for hogs myself. I like the 270 grain Speer GDSP. You can buy factory, or roll your own. I find that there is not a problem with bullet drop or loss of velocity where I hunt. I have not killed a hog past about 50 yards, except one piggy I shot across a feed plot, that measured out to 125 yards. I held the sights just above the shoulder, and hit right were I wanted. Bullet drop for a 270 grain .44 leaving the muzzle at 1500+ is about 5 inches at 100 yards. Good hunting.

Back