Florida Ccw

FLA2760

Posted - January 16 2008 : 4:48:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those with a Florida CCW permit are now able to carry in Nevada as of January 8, 2008. For more information go to the Florida Department of Agriculture site. ;)

Posted - January 16 2008 : 4:48:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

I'd like to get a CCW,but carrying is prohibited just about everywhere you might need it.
From the statutes.
"The following is a list of places where you are restricted from carrying a weapon or firearm even if you have a license. Please note that this is a simplified list. The places marked by an asterisk (*) may have exceptions or additional restrictions. See Section 790.06 (12), Florida Statutes for a complete listing.

o any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
o any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
o any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse
o any courtroom*
o any polling place
o any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
o any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
o any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
o any school administration building
o any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption*
o any elementary or secondary school facility
o any area technical center
o any college or university facility*
o inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport*
o any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law"
:mad:
I'm still a big fan of Vermont style carry.You shouldn't need a permission slip from the government to protect your life,yet if I carry in Florida without a CCW I've been told it's a felony.That's super wrong!
And I love this part.

A Note from the Commissioner

Applying for a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm for self-defense is a right of law-abiding Floridians. However, you must remember that a license to carry a weapon or firearm concealed on your person does not authorize you to use that weapon. Use of a concealed weapon or firearm is regulated by other provisions of Florida law. It is my hope that you will exercise your lawful right to carry a concealed weapon or firearm responsibly, properly, and safely.

Charles H. Bronson
Commissioner

That means that you must be willing to accept the consequences should you draw that weapon, whether you fire it or not. The burden is still on YOU to prove that you were being threatened and you were in fear for your life or the life of another.

The "not a license to use" clause means:
--you can't use your weapon to threaten someone or gain leverage in an argument(brandishing or firing "warning shots")
--your permit does not protect you from criminal/civil liability if you fire your weapon and an innocent bystander is hurt
--your permit does not protect you for use of excessive force (shooting an an individual in the back)
--your permit protects you if you are confronted by law enforcement, and you are not otherwise violating the law, and you are carrying a firearm along with your permit

I hope that clears up any confusion you may have had on the issue.

I don't find that list to be restrictive at all, and you misstated one of the restrictions. Here is the restriction:

any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose

The list is easy:

courthouse, school, sporting events (I will give you this one- dumb), legislature, bars, police stations

I bet you that even in Vermont, the sterile area of an airport, federal buildings, jails, and courthouses are still off limits for carry.

So, what's the point?

The original post was about being able to carry in Nevada if you have a Florida permit... So, lets discuss where you can and can't carry in NEVADA... that would be more to the point.

Since I have a Florida CWP and plan to be in Reno in April... help me out with this.

Blume 357 I hope this helps you. Here is a portion of the law with a link to the entire text. ;) Note the sections on alcohol as pertaining to firearms in the link I posted. The gaming establishments that serve alcohol would be germane here.

NRS 202.3688 Circumstances in which holder of permit issued by another state may carry concealed firearm in this State; holder of permit issued by another state subject to same restrictions and requirements as holder of permit issued in this State.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, a person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may carry a concealed firearm in this State in accordance with the requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive.

2. A person who possesses a permit to carry a concealed firearm that was issued by a state included in the list prepared pursuant to NRS 202.3689 may not carry a concealed firearm in this State if the person:

(a) Becomes a resident of this State; and

(b) Has not been issued a permit from the sheriff of the county in which he resides within 60 days after becoming a resident of this State.

3. A person who carries a concealed firearm pursuant to this section is subject to the same legal restrictions and requirements imposed upon a person who has been issued a permit by a sheriff in this State.

(Added to NRS by 2007, 3150)

NRS 202.3673 Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

1. Except as otherwise provided in subsections 2 and 3, a permittee may carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of any public building.

2. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building that is located on the property of a public airport.

3. A permittee shall not carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of:

(a) A public building that is located on the property of a public school or a child care facility or the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, unless the permittee has obtained written permission to carry a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subparagraph (3) of paragraph (a) of subsection 3 of NRS 202.265.

(b) A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building, unless the permittee is not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building pursuant to subsection 4.

4. The provisions of paragraph (b) of subsection 3 do not prohibit:

(a) A permittee who is a judge from carrying a concealed firearm in the courthouse or courtroom in which he presides or from authorizing a permittee to carry a concealed firearm while in the courtroom of the judge and while traveling to and from the courtroom of the judge.

(b) A permittee who is a prosecuting attorney of an agency or political subdivision of the United States or of this State from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of a public building.

(c) A permittee who is employed in the public building from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building.

(d) A permittee from carrying a concealed firearm while he is on the premises of the public building if the permittee has received written permission from the person in control of the public building to carry a concealed firearm while the permittee is on the premises of the public building.

5. A person who violates subsection 2 or 3 is guilty of a misdemeanor.

6. As used in this section:

(a) “Child care facility” has the meaning ascribed to it in paragraph (a) of subsection 5 of NRS 202.265.

(b) “Public building” means any building or office space occupied by:

(1) Any component of the Nevada System of Higher Education and used for any purpose related to the System; or

(2) The Federal Government, the State of Nevada or any county, city, school district or other political subdivision of the State of Nevada and used for any public purpose.

Ê If only part of the building is occupied by an entity described in this subsection, the term means only that portion of the building which is so occupied.

(Added to NRS by 1995, 2725; A 1997, 63; 1999, 2767; 2007, 1914)

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653

From what I understand, with regard to carrying in Nevada, if you plan to carry in Clark County (where Las Vegas is), you must, in addition to the permit you already have, obtain a separate permit for Clark County, and register the weapon(s) you plan to carry, in addition qualify with each of those weapons.

I've scanned the above sections twice and can find nothing about

alcohol or gambling in it.... what am I missing?

The information for the Clark County CCW and registration can be found on these links:

CCW requirements: http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_concealed.html

Registration: http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.html

Word to the wise--saying "I didn't know" to the police is NOT a defense. It is YOUR responsibility to know the laws of the areas you plan to carry.

When I attended Front Sight, they forwarded to me a copy of a letter from the chief of LVMP stating that these rules do not apply as long as the weapons are kept in the trunk (or otherwise inaccessible) and unloaded, separate from ammunition while attending courses at Front Sight. However, if you plan to carry, you MUST follow those regulations.

Florida CCW

That is interesting about Clark County. In Arizona there is a preemption clause that states:

Firearms regulated by state; state preemption; violation; classification
A. Except as provided in subsection C of this section, a political subdivision of this state shall not enact any ordinance, rule or tax relating to the transportation, possession, carrying, sale, transfer or use of firearms or ammunition or any firearm or ammunition components in this state.

I kinda thought most states had some sort of preemption clause. Without it the state could allow it and all of the subdivisions restrict it, negating the intent of the state law.

More importantly, when will Nevada recognize an Arizona CCW? As of 1/4/08 Arizona was not honored according to Handgunlaw.us. Is there something in the Arizona law that poses a problem for Nevada. A review of the list I produced on 1/4/08 also indicated that Florida CCW was honored on 1/4/08. As it stands, Nevada is the only state in my region an Arizona CCW holder cannot carry in. Except of course California.

Back