Florida Carry Permit

Jets2007

Quick question for the folks from Florida.

I am looking into moving to Florida next year- possibly in August or Sept. I do not have a Carry Permit in the state that I currently live in- New York. If I applied for the Permit now, I would probably be getting it in the main by the time that I am getting ready to leave.. so it's probably not worth it for the month or so that I will actually have it here. I have plenty of rifles.. and I will get into the handgun thing once I leave this state.

I reviewed the webpage and read over the requirements and rules for the Florida CWP. My question- Is there a certain amount of time that I have to be a Florida resident before I can apply for my Florida CWP? Or am I able to apply for it the day that I get my Drivers License?

Some states have a 30 or 60 day residence requirement. The rules and regs on thw webpage did not mention anything... but sometimes governemnt bureaucracies leave out important info.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hkmp, Thank you for the info. From what the webpage says... it looks like the process is very quick. If you get the electronic fingerprints done, it could be processed within 45-60 days.

One more question for you... When I go to buy my first handgun before I get my CCW, whats that wait time? From what I remember, it's like 3 days if you don;t have a Carry permit. If you do have a permit, it's given to you that day after the 4473 paperwork... correct?

Florida has a very fast turn around time for concealed carry permits. A buddy of mine recently sent in for his and he got it back in less than a month. I got mine a long time ago so I don't remember how long it took.

I believe that the "cooling period" for buying a handgun is 5 business days. With the carry permit, you get it the same day. Hope that helps.

The waiting period is 3 days in Hillsborough county.

My friend applied for a permit and it took over 3 months, they messed up the fingerprints and he had to have them redone.

Good move! I used to live in FL and still have a permit there. One thing you could do in advance is take a NRA Approved Gun Safety Course. You will need to submit a notarized (as far as I remember) copy of the certificate with the fingerprint card and application.

I have a FL CCW. You can apply for the application packet over the internet. Read the instructions THOROUGHLY. You'll have to fill out an application, take a fingerprint card to any police department (does not have to be your local police dept), get a color photo, include a copy of your proof of firearm training (military discharge papers, any NRA certificate, letterhead statement from gun club, etc.), and have the application notarized. Then ship it along with payment.

They say it takes up to 90 days, but I got mine in less than two months. And if you move, you can continue using the old permit AS LONG AS you have started the process to change to your new address.

It doesn't even have to be a police department. Anyone certified to take fingerprints can do it- but the police are usually cheaper. They only charge $5 or so.

Thanks for all of the info. I am looking into Orange County.. or somewhere there abouts. I am going down in June to spend like 3 weeks to get a feel for the area. Are there any good indoor gun ranges in the area to go rent a few handguns for an hour or so?

Reig's Guns
5512 S Orange Blossom Trl
Orlando, FL 32839
Phone: (407) 859-5064

Universal Weapons (they have a range at their second store, but you have to call them for the address)
11455 S Orange Blossom Trl
Orlando, FL 32837
Phone: (407) 851-2216

East Orange Shooting Sports
7210 Gardner St
Winter Park, FL 32792
Phone: (407) 472-9679

Shoot Straight
1349 Orange Blossom Trl S
Apopka, FL 32768
Phone: (407) 889-0842

Back