Floating and Fluting

Spirex288

What are the advantages of a free-floating barrel and a fluted one? The Savage Model 10P has a free floating 24" barrel and the Model 12 has a 26" fluted one. Which would be the better one? Since both of these are WELL below $500 which is within a reasonable price range for me, I would like to know which one has the upper hand. I'm gonna be a first time buyer soon.

Floating is the removal of material from the barrel channel in the forearm of the rifle stock. This prevents the stock from touching the barrel so only the action is actually in contact with the stock. Floating keeps the stock from putting uneven pressure on the barrel or disrupting the normal vibration of the barrel during firing. It allows the barrel to perform to it's potential with regard to accuracy and consistency.

Fluting is the partial removal of material from the barrel to reduce weight but leaving raised portions (flutes) between the machined areas to improve stiffness as compared to a round barrel of the same weight. The fluting also increases the surface area of the barrel which aids in cooling during extended or rapid firing sessions.

A fluted barrel can also be floated so you don't have to choose one or the other - you can have both! But if I had to choose, I would take the floated barrel for accuracy potential. The weight and cooling features of the fluted barrel are less important to me than accuracy.

Mikey

Back