flintlock elk

flintlock.50

I should have posted this here instead of the black powder and bullet casting forums.

In took this elk in Wyoming last Monday. He came in to a cow elk call and I shot him at 40 yards. I was shooting a traditional flintlock pushing a round ball cast from wheel weight lead. He doesn't have a monster rack, but I'm ecstatic! :D

flintlock%20elk.JPG

He doesn't have a monster rack, but I'm ecstatic!

I would be too. I respect you for your choice in a firearm. I don't muzzleload hunt, but if I ever start I don't want anything to do with modern inline rifles. I currently use my recurve during our primitave weapons season.

NICE!
I flashed my pan on 2 5X5's and one 6X6 over the years.
I was fortunate to take a nice big OLD cow this fall but my rifle mis-fired on the first attempt. Went off fine on the second try.
Congrat's! :)

Nice bull and impressive kill. I gave up the muzzleloader for a crossbow this year. I had a few bad experiences with moisture in the past. One in particular with a big buck chasing a doe at 15 yards. I really appreciate the difficulty involved.

That's a dandy bull and beautiful rifle. Did your bullet deform much after impact or did it pretty much retain it's round shape?

I shoot a 45 caliber flintlock but have not taken any game with it, yet.

Jack

Very good! I love you elk bowlers! I have bowled for antelope, but never elk. Nice trophy and good eating, those rag-horns are some of the best table fare!

The ball actually split into two parts, which I found side by side under the far side skin. I'm not sure why the ball broke. I presume it hit a rib or something, though I did not get a good look at the ribs. The two parts total 96% of the original weight.

pushing a round ball cast from wheel weight lead.

I have never used anything but pure lead in a muzzle loader. Is there any rifling marks in that bullet? what thickness patch are you using?
What is your bullet diameter?

those rag-horns are some of the best table fare
What is "Rag-horn" about that bull??

Gbro-

In Wyoming, a small 4 or 5 point bull (2+ age class) is generically refered to as a "rag horn". Nothing derogitory is ment when someone refers to shooting a "rag-horn", as most meat hunters prefer to harvest either a rag-horn or spike, as they are much easier on the pallet than the older "herd bulls".

By definition, the OP's Wyoming elk is a very fine example of a "rag-horn". One that he should be very, very proud to have harvested. And even prouder to have harvested with a flintlock!

I hope I have explained it, and absolutly no disrespect was ment.

I have never used anything but pure lead in a muzzle loader. Is there any rifling marks in that bullet? what thickness patch are you using?
What is your bullet diameter?

Elsewhere I have posted about using hardened lead in a front stuffer. Most of my knowledge about that comes from the founder of Cast Performance Bullet Company, himself a builder of muzzle loading rifles and former serious competitor.

From the deformation of the two pieces of the ball, it is obvious the ball hit something that caused it to shear into two pieces. The two pieces were side by side under the far side skin, therefore the ball probably hit the far side rib. Had the ball broken by hitting the front side rib, the two pieces would not likely have traveled together to the far side, but would have diverged.

I can't identify any marks from rifling, though I've never found any rifling marks on pure lead balls recovered from game. They flatten too much to show any rifling. See the "ball" below, recovered from a small black bear. No way you will find any rifling marks.
IMG_1906.JPG

The severe flattening of pure lead balls made me question their suitability for elk, where penetration of 30" or more might be required. That lead me to the "Cast Boolits" forum and ultimately to wheel weight lead.

For the elk I shot a 0.490" ball with a 0.015" patch. One piece of the ball recovered from the elk shows the impression of the patch material.

As for accuracy of wheel weight lead balls, see the 50 yard target below. I fired 10 shots of my hunting loads, though only 9 are clearly distinguishable.
IMG_9836_2.jpg

Last edited:
Certainly has no accuracy issues!
Years ago I damaged a round ball mold, (Lee), when I mistakenly added some alloy lead.
I might just have to play around with some hard cast round balls now that I have Lyman molds.

As for the rag horn definition, well I think this thread pictures a nice young 5X5 bull. ;)
I will reserve the term Rag Horn for the young bulls that have unmatched spindley ugly antlers. :rolleyes:
And to each his own.

Remember the movie Jeremiah Johnson?

"You nailed him clean, pilgram!"

Congrats. Any animal with a flintlock is a trophy.

Back