Flattened Primer

John Foley

Retired Screen Name
Hi,
Due to a discussion on "limp wristing" I set up an experiment where I fired my .45 ACP without holding it (the slide did go to the rear,eject the spent case and return to battery)...but that another story.
What I am interested in is what happened to the case. One side of the case mouth was slightly flattened (not unusual)and the primer was completly flattened to the point that it filled the pocket and was level with the base of it. There was no firing pin indentation visable except for a mark about the size of a pin hole. Anyone have any idea what happened? I am new to this site...it looks like a good one!

------------------

John,

Flattened primers ar usually an indication of overpowered loads. I don;t know of any reason that the "limp-wrist" test would cause a flattened primer other than that.

Hi john
give us some details about this flattened primer. Did this happen on serveral cases?
What is the load you are shooting? How do the primers normally look? What caliber is this?
I have seen flattened primers when the load was just a primer. Apparently the case gets blown forwards by the primer and there is no load to push it back against the breech face.

John Foley,

John, limp wristing is real! At least that is what my experience says. I am surprised that the gun functioned, but I am at loss for the cause of the flattening. Factory load?

It has been a while since we had our first discussion about limp wristing, your investigative persistence is admirable! It is very nice to hear from you. Different venue, same question?

Curious, how did you cause the unsupported pistol to fire?

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 12-20-98).]

Limp-wristing is definitely for real. That test is a decent one, but you must remember that some weapons are more prone to suffer a "limp-wrist failure"

The recipe for a failure is this:

Lightweight gun + low power round + strong recoil spring.

A new Glock 19 with low-power rounds would be one of the most likely guns to suffer a LWF.
A Colt Delta Elite with a "broken in" spring and Hot loads would be one of the least likely.

I don't know what gun/rounds you were using. But If it was a 1911 with duty loads, even the old "suspended on string" test isn't guaranteed to make it fail.

------------------
-Essayons

Could it be primer set back from low pressure? Remember, the firing pin strikes the primer and knocks the case forward; the primer then protrudes, due to the increasing case pressure.

Normally, the case is forced backwards against the breech face, if a normal pressure is developed in the case. This pushes the primer back into the primer pocket.

In very light loads, the case is not forced backwards hard enough to reseat the primer.

I could imagine an intermediate stage, where enough pressure was developed to barely eject the case, but the pressure build up was slower, so that when the case was forced back against the breech face, the primer pin had retracted from the primer, allowing the primer indentation to be blown flat.

It is a stretch, but I can't think of a better hypothesis to fit the facts. Your opinions, comments, questions, and hoots of derision are welcome. Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Welch (edited 12-20-98).]

John,

I think Walt has it, I recall an article in the a magazine, the subject was the inaccuracies of using primer condition to judge pressure. If my aging memory serves the low pressure phenomena was noted just as Walt decribes it.

------------------

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 12-21-98).]

Gentlemen, There are two excellent chapters on "Pressure" and "Headspace" in Volume One of P.O. Ackleys Handbook For Shooters and Reloaders. If you got one check it out. May help with a hypthosis on this situation. Actually, I'd recommend these 2 books to anyone for the practical info and insight although, the loading tables are out of date but,can serve as a starting point for an intrepid soul with an oddball,wildcat or obsolete caliber.

Take Care

Thanks for all the responses. To keep it fairly short I'll try to answer in one posting.
Rob, This wasn't your usual overpowered load flattened primer. There was no "cratering" or pierced primer, it was totally flat. The pistol was a Thompson Auto Ordnance Automatic (1911 Model). I use one of my reloads with a 230gr Hornady HP/XTP bullet over 10.7gr of AA#7 with a CCI 300 primer. If it's OK with you I don't really want to get into the "limp wrist" discussion again. I only know for sure what happened in my "experiment" and I haven't tried it with any other pistols.
dundee, the primer was flush with the base of the case. The "normal" firing pin indention was filled in like a drop of metal had been put in it leaving a pin size hole in the center. Hope this helps
Michael, hello again. Hey, I'm retired now so I have time to be persistant. The only thing I have proved is that it worked in my case. I guess it's the same question in a different venue. However, in this venue I got replies.
Walt, I feel that you have come up with the correct hypothesis. We know that the flat primer was not caused by a high pressure load, so some other vairable had to be involved. Could it be that because it was not held, and the whole pistol was in recoil, that could have caused the slower pressure build up? If so I may have to rethink my stand on "limp wristing"!
Hope I didn't leave anyone out.

------------------

John,

It is a pleasure to continue this pursuit of information!

Yes, I think that it is likely that because the pistol is unconstrained the pressure rises more slowly, as the energy can be dissipated in the acceleration of the pistol to the rear, this may delay the obturation of the bullet and the sealing of the bore, which might actually lower the peak pressure.
In actuality we may have less energy to deal with.

I know some will find this hard to believe, considering the velocity with which the bullet leaves the barrel. The fact is though, as I understand it, for every action there is an immediate equal and opposite reaction. Perhaps the amount of energy is not changed, but I think that the dynamics of the work being performed over time may have been.

Photos in the 30s have repeatedly "proven" that the gun is in recoil prior bullet departure from the barrel. (I think there are such in Ed McGivern's Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting).

(I will check this evening and repost if not, does anyone know where we might find a picture which shows the recoil or lack thereof, as the bullet exits the muzzle?)

My experience with both rifle and pistol indicates to me that I can change the point of impact by how "hard" I am holding for both rifle and pistol.

My coach (USMC retiree Claire Carlson) tells me the reason for my poor performance at 600 yards with service rifle is that I am not consistently in the same position. This lack of consistency has several effects, all occurring at once.

The point of impact (POI) may change because of the way I am looking at the sights in the prone postion.

POI may change due to a change in the harmonics of the rifle as I place vary pressures on varing points of the stock(s).

The POI may change as the rifle is allowed to recoil to a greater or different manner than a consistent hard hold might.

I "know" for a "personally determined fact" that if I hold a .45 service pistol hard that I have to change the sights versus using a "soft grip".

I am convinced that this is primarily due to a change in the amount or amplitude of the recoil prior to the bullet leaving the barrel. Nothing except the amount of grip is changed here. the elbow does not break, the sight picture is exactly the same, the sight alignment the same. The change in POI appears to me to be solely due to the amplitude of recoil prior to the exit of the bullet from the barrel.

There are about 4 to 6 clicks difference for me between the two grips (at 50 yards). What this "tells" me is that the additional "mass" added by the hard hold lowers the point of impact and requires a "higher" sight adjustment.

If the pistol is allowed to recoil freely, the energy which would have taken a path of lesser resistance and cycled the slide, may in the case of the soft grip be used in pushing the pistol rather than the slide/barrel assembly into recoil relative to the grip frame. This is the theory which I explain the observed phenomenum of "limp wrist" failures.

In theory that flattened primer might be the path of least resistance when the pressure pulse is allowed to freely dissipate in both pushing the bullet through the bore and pushing the entire pistol to the rear. This may allow the pressure curve to flatten in time covering a longer period with a lower peak.

This may cause the unobturated primer to slam back into the breach face hard enough to yield the observed pressure signs. The primer is unobturated due to the energy of the initiation of the movement in response to rising pressure being allowed to work on two vectors rather than one, which delays the full engraving of the bullet into the bore and the subsequent delay of pressure may rob us of some velocity.

Some shooters I know claim that a rifle shoots "harder the harder that you hold it". Is this a observation of this phenomenum in action?

I am not a kinetic physicist but I know that in cutting structural members with explosives a "tamped" charge (one that is contained on the side opposite the desired work direction) can accomplish the same work with less explosive than an untamped charge.

This is a long reiteration of what Walt said much more succinctly, his brevity is admirable.

I should think it would be very interesting to explore what this particular load is doing in your test piece. Have you duplicated this several times? If this is repeatable perhaps, as you indicate, you may have to reevaluate your position on "limp wristing".

John, as one shooter to another, I appreciate your taking the time to back up your impressions with an actual test.

As we begin to evaluate the results the first thing that the scientific community will want to know is what was the number of rounds measured. "Is the sample of sufficient size to allow us to draw a valid conclusion?"

As you are undoubtedly in the same position as the rest of us, not independently wealthy, you might find the idea of doing such an exhaustive test daunting. Now that you are retired, perhaps time and range access are not constraints.

Perhaps you might want to conduct tests and submit an article to one the more esoteric gun rags, using that recompense to offset the expense associated with testing. I would be glad to assist you in the development of the article, the test methodology, or in editing, merely for a credit (should you deem my effort worthy of such). Remember that am I not a physicist, nor a writer, and most certainly not an editor. But I am available! ;-)

Hope that we can continue to explore this, for you now have raised a real valid question for some of us. "What does happen after the hammer falls and before the bullet leaves the barrel?" "In a recoil operated system does lack of firm grip (hold) contribute to malfunctions?"

------------------

Yours In Marksmanship

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 12-22-98).]

Micheal,

A little background. In my wild youth, early '50s, I did willfully (if somewhat foolishly)enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps. My MOS being 0351, I was in an anti-tank assault plt, I am somewhat familar with explosives and the concept of tamping a charge. Through the wisdom of the Corps (and for reasons known only to god)I was assigned to coach on an M1 Garand rifle range and was good enough to shoot on the 4th Regiment's match team. I never, to the best of my memory, experienced all the changes, in the bullets impact point, from holding the rifle "tighter" or "looser" as you discribe. As I have stated previously I do not wish to engauge in a discussion of "limp wristing", all I am interested in is why the primer flattened the way it did.

Back