Flat or curved mainspring housing...which do you prefer.

I prefer the curved.

It is my understanding that the curved housing was incorporated in the military design in order to compensate for the tendency to shoot a bit low when in a hurry.

------------------
Jim Fox

Flat for me. I find with the curved housing my grip tends to be pushed to the side of the gun instead of keeping the gun properly in direct line as an extension of my forearm. Bad things can happen to accuracy and can be more limp wrist prone that way.

It isn't a matter of random choice, but of necessity that will dictate which kind of housing you use.
With a curved housing installed, close your eyes after looking at any kind of object at eye level, raise the pistol to eye level and open your eyes without moving the pistol. If you are aiming OVER the target, install a flat housing and try it again.
If you have a flat housing and the pistol comes comfortably to rest aiming UNDER the object, install a curved housing.
There is no mystery about it; you have to use the housing that best adapts to your hand and grip without having to bend your wrist out of line. This will make the pistol point more naturally, and produce better scores, especially in rapid fire.

Just thank the gods on Olympus that we have a large number of aftermarket parts available, allowing us to fit the pistol to our individual physical characteristics.

[This message has been edited by John Lawson (edited January 13, 2000).]

Prefer the arched mainstring housing with a short trigger. The 1911 points much better for me with his setup. Mark / FL

Hello all! My adjustable sighted target guns all have long triggers. With them, I prefer a checkered, flat mainspring housing. With my fixed sight Commanders and Gov't Models that have short triggers, I use the arched housings. Best.

The post by John Lawson is on the money. The curved mainspring housing was developed because of the tendency of many shooters to hit low with their pistol while quickly point shooting. They sure didn't change the shape of the housing because "it looked neat"!

I use a LWC with an arched housing that has
had the vertical striations ground down. The
unit was then contoured to match the frame and lightly stippled for good purchase. This "in-between" compromise works well for me.

Back