flat headed rounds

The don't jam in my revolver:)

If you are talking about Jacketed Flat Nose in a semi, it can be an issue of the feed ramp or the magazine. It also depends on type of magazine. As an example, there are at least two types of feed lips on 1911 magazines: WADCUTTER (Parallel feed lips) and HYBRID (feed lips taper open towards the feed ramp).

If you're talking flat point bullets, the answer is simply streamlining, the round nosed or truncated conical bulltet simply slides up the feed ramp better.

And, as pointed out, either work extremely well in the six gun.

Bob Wright

Round nose bullets work better even in a revolver, if they are being loaded from a speed loader or moon clips.
That's why the action pistol revolver shooters like them.

Simply put, bullets with round or tapered noses slide up and over a feed ramp more easily that ones with flat noses and/or sharp corners. This is why relatively few semi-auto pistols will reliably feed full-wadcutter bullets and also why most semi-auto firearms designed to use cartridges with flat noses like shotgun shells use some sort of lifter arrangement rather than a box magazine and feed ramp.

Flat headed rounds in a semi-auto must take a precarious path from the magazine to the chamber. Flat headed rounds in some semi-autos take either an upward ramp or a direct feed. Rounded (jacketed) rounds have more of a glide that the fore-edge of the flat headed rounds. Remember that some semi-autos are choosy to what you load, especially if they are a poor reload.

Never ran into an issue with 40S&W. With the Winchester White Box flat nose 380's - I have never been able to run 'em through my NAA's or P3AT's without a FTE or FTFeed in any one mag.

.40 is a truncated cone -- pretty pointy actually. Has a built in decent angled "ramp." At least compared to a WC and even a SWC though less to a Keith to some extent.

why do flat headed round jam more easy in pistols than round headed types

If you look at the path a cartridge must take to get from the magazine to the chamber it should be fairly obvious.

Last edited:
With the Winchester White Box flat nose 380's - I have never been able to run 'em through my NAA's or P3AT's without a FTE or FTFeed in any one mag.

But it's interesting that in my Ruger LCP, a near clone of the P3AT, I have never had a single problem with the flat nose WWB. Or any other round for that matter. Flat, round, or HP.

Back