flashlight advice?

I'll second that. Previously, I had (still do) a 6 D cell and a 6 C cell maglights. The 6P was almost as bright and is smaller than 2 D cells.

------------------
- Ron V.

The Streamlight Scorpion is an excellent flashlight. It's the equivilant of a Surefire 6P - at only about $37.

The Streamlight Stinger is also an excellent unit, and it's available in polymer if weight is an issue. It is a bit longer than the Surefire, but it also has a conventional switch for on/off use. It's a lot easier to use with the Chapman technique.

My Sure-Fire 6P is brighter than my 6(!) cell Mag-Lite. Don't shine it into your eyes, you'll get a headache!

Can't recommend Sure Fire enough. I have it on my Benelli, Rem 870 and HK 94. I keep a 9 p on my lightstand at night. Very bright, very good/reliable, and very expensive. Only bad thing is the cost of CR123 camera batteries...a bit expensive.

------------------
"Started out with nothing, still got most of it."

Surefire reports brightness in lumens.
Scorpion reports brightness in candlepower.
How is either converted into the other?

They cannot be directly converted, one from the other. Lumens is the total amount of photons of light emitted. Candlepower is more deceptive, it is the peak brightness of the light source. As such a dim flashlight can have a high candle power if it has a very bright "hotspot".

All manufactures should list the lumens rating.

I have a sure-fire 9z and several streamlight scorpions. My 9z cost me $80 and takes three-3v batteries. The 6z costs around $50-70. The scorpion cost me $33 and uses two 3v batteries. Holding them side by side, the scorpion is actually close to the same brightness as the 9z. I think you would be better off with the scorpion, although both are VERY good. For example, I can illuminate people at 100 yards with my scorpion. That should be more than enough light for most defense situations. While another poster referred to these lights as headlights for the pocket, I tend to think of them as portable flood lights because they can cover a larger area with light.

Concerning the Streamlight: does the Variable spot to flood focus adjustment
dilute the quality of the beam like it does on a MagLite? One of the selling points of the Sure-Fire seems to be the fact that its fixed focus. Was just wondering :p

JLM

I'll post here when I get mine, but I assume it has to be somewhat less bright when spread out to full flood. From the info I reviewed, it looks like the focus is "set and forget." There is a 3-way on off switch on the base.

Ledbetter

It looks like the Sure-Fire 6Z is the choice for me.

-Hiyo, late of Nihon Kaigun. (combinedfleet.com)

Got my Scorpion today. Very bright, very cool.
flash.gif
I whistle the X-Files theme whenever I pick it up. It's about 5" long, black rubber sleeve over aluminum case. Headlamp assembly screws on, focus by adjusting headlamp on threads. Once beam is focused, it will stay until adjusted. On-off button on bottom: momentary on, on, off. Cost: $35.

Regards.

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited August 10, 2000).]

Good Evening All-

Currently using a Sure-Fire 9N rechargeable that is fairly compact and is bright as all get-out. Never have to worry about the light "locking" into the "on" position and compromising your location.

The only downside is that the NiCad cell seems to suffer from a bad "memory effect" that can't be erased. It doesn't appear to hold a charge too well, either.

With that said, I think I would be inclined to go with something that runs a Nickel Metal Hydride (rechargeable) or a Lithium (replaceable) battery.

The Lithiums are nice because they continue at full power until they die, the other types tend to "yellow" until they croak.

Law Enforcement dudes and dudettes sometimes go with a powerful 9N and a 6Z or 9Z as backup. It just sticks in my craw to always have to worry about the strength of my charge.

Regards to all,

~ Blue Jays ~

Back